Skip to main content
Topic: Is it possible for these Klipsch RP-140D speakers to go down to 69Hz (-3dB)? (Read 272 times) previous topic - next topic

Is it possible for these Klipsch RP-140D speakers to go down to 69Hz (-3dB)?

https://www.klipsch.com/products/rp-140d-on-wall-speaker

They have a 3.5" woofer and thin cabinet. I haven't known Klipsch to blatantly lie on their specs before though, and this one is specific, "69Hz-25kHz ± 3dB".

In related news, I'm looking for the smallest, lightest speakers I can find for Atmos that can go down to 80Hz at least, if anyone has any idea.

Re: Is it possible for these Klipsch RP-140D speakers to go down to 69Hz (-3dB)?

Reply #1
You can get bass from a small speaker (think headphones/in-ears) but there's a limit to how much energy/loudness you can get at low frequencies.

There is more to speaker/woofer/subwoofer design than size but to me, anything less than 8-inches isn't really a "woofer".    :P

Re: Is it possible for these Klipsch RP-140D speakers to go down to 69Hz (-3dB)?

Reply #2
Yeah, I'm looking for height speakers for my apartment living room, so it's a small space. I just need them to get reasonably near 80Hz cause that's the crossover I've set my LX503 at, and unfortunately Pioneer doesn't offer distinct crossovers for each pair of speakers, just a global one. I'm now looking at cheaper options at Parts Express, seems there are more reasonable ones that can better blend in like these which look like lamps, unfortunately the 4-inch version is only available in black.

Reply #3
I haven't known Klipsch to blatantly lie on their specs before though
You're kidding right??
https://www.stereophile.com/content/klipsch-reference-premiere-rp-600m-loudspeaker-measurements
Klipsch's specified sensitivity is an extraordinarily high 96dB/2.83V/m. My estimate was much lower, at 89.6dB(B)/2.83V/m, though
That said, on wall, it may be possible for that speaker to extend to 70hz,..at very limited volumes.
If you are looking for unobtrusive/compact white wedge/wallmount height speakers to blend more with your wall, look at "outdoor" models, like for example these. Just remember anything with <4" woofer will have limited output even with 80hz HP.

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #5
I haven't known Klipsch to blatantly lie on their specs before though
You're kidding right??
Well despite popular opinion, I happen to not know everything. Don't follow Sterophile...

Thanks for the info. I've been looking to those types and I think pendant type speakers is more likely what I'm going to get. JBL has some nice ones but they're very heavy and too big. I think I'm going for the Dayton ones.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020