Skip to main content

Notice

If you are using a Hotmail or Outlook email address, please change it now, as Microsoft is rejecting all email from our service outright.
Topic: Bluetooth LC3 (Read 1354 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Bluetooth LC3

Reply #1
For 160-350k a lower complexity codec probably made sense. 

Reply #2
I think the same that Garf about it, basically they want to sell a license for it.
I wonder why they didn't just use Opus instead of creating a new codec?

If you look at the specification, it's basically Opus with a few marginal gadgets thrown in. I'm going to make a not-very-wild guess that you'll need a license for the gadgets, from the people who wrote the standard.

Reply #3
The Bluetooth SIG could have used Opus to address most of the needs, no?
Not the need to make money by licensing proprietary tech to device manufacturers.

Reply #4
Will this codec at least introduce good quality bidirectional audio into the official Bluetooth LE stack? (eg. gaming headsets with simultaneous input/output audio paths)
There's a hackish solution called FastStream for classic Bluetooth, but the bitrate budget is very low for the used SBC codec (212kbps down / 72kbps up), so it's probably acceptable for game audio but nothing else.
WavPack -b4x4hc
Opus --cvbr --bitrate 256 --framesize 5

Reply #5
Demo of the LC3 in comparison to SBC: https://www.bluetooth.com/tools/audio-codec-demo/

• PCM 1526 kbps: 48 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit samples
  • SBC 248 kbps: 48 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit samples
  • SBC 192 kbps: 48 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit samples
  • LC3 248 kbps: 48 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit samples
  • LC3 192 kbps: 48 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit samples
  • LC3 128 kbps: 32 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit samples
  • LC3 96 kbps: 24 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit samples
  • LC3 64 kbps: 16 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit samples

Curious, why sample rate is so low for LC3 128 kbps and lower. Is it a technical limitation of the LC3? I thought it must be similar to Opus. Opus sounds much better than LC3 at 64-128kbps, according to these examples. Huge improvement over SBC though.

Reply #6
It Isn't sounding that great, but it definitely is an upgrade from SBC. Maybe the are using the smallest frame sizes possible to get a very low latency?

Reply #7
Maybe I'm deaf, but I've never heard any major obvious issues with SBC bluetooth other than dropouts due to signal.

Reply #8
Maybe I'm deaf, but I've never heard any major obvious issues with SBC bluetooth other than dropouts due to signal.
I've only had issues with older Android phones a long time ago when very low bitrates were negotiated between devices. I couldn't prove this, but it just didn't sound right. I use SBC from my phone to my car's audio system and I don't hear any issues.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020