Skip to main content
Topic: freedb.org to close (Read 8525 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: freedb.org to close

Reply #25
I was trying to look up some CD information from a CD I had ripped and the CD wasn't registered. I didn't know that freedb had shut its services.  While attempting to find an alternative. I did find that while the main site was completely taken over by Magix, their FTP site is still up, though for how long I don't know.
The site is located at http://ftp.freedb.org/pub/freedb/
The database file appears to be there, I can't imagine what else takes up 957 MB.  Anyways, my thanks to those on this site who were able to find out about all of this. I would have been searching forever after because of it.  Consequently, the Freedb server software is there as well though, again for how much longer?

Reply #26
I was trying to look up some CD information from a CD I had ripped and the CD wasn't registered. I didn't know that freedb had shut its services.  While attempting to find an alternative. I did find that while the main site was completely taken over by Magix, their FTP site is still up, though for how long I don't know.
The site is located at http://ftp.freedb.org/pub/freedb/
The database file appears to be there, I can't imagine what else takes up 957 MB.  Anyways, my thanks to those on this site who were able to find out about all of this. I would have been searching forever after because of it.  Consequently, the Freedb server software is there as well though, again for how much longer?

Annnnnnnd, It's gone...

Time to set up a hosts file redirect for *.freedb.org to the dbpoweramp freedb server so that when my Fairstars CD Ripper or any other app on my system(s) try to look up any of the *.freedb.org sites, they get a successful name resolution...

Reply #27
That may not work, if the server is HTTP based, and relies on the hostname.

Reply #28
This post by @korth is not a solution?

Reply #29
It is. But it's an HTTP server, so whatever client you are configuring must know the correct hostname, unless the server internally accepts requests asking for "freedb.org" and not "freedb.dbpoweramp.com"

HTTP protocol defines a "HOST" header, which specifies the hostname and port the request is asking for, which is used by many servers to allow multiple domains on the same IP address.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020