Skip to main content
Topic: How to automatically update tags for car (unsupported albumartist) (Read 245 times) previous topic - next topic

How to automatically update tags for car (unsupported albumartist)

Hi,

My new car does not support the albumartist tag. As a lot of my albums have multiple artists, those albums will not show up as a single album in my car.

Normally, I use foobar2000 for tagging, but I think the app cannot solve this tagging problem (alone). Therefore I’m posting here.

So, I was thinking about the following procedure:
  • Identify albums (same album title, same album artist, same date) with multiple artists
  • If the album artist is ‘Various Artists’, the new artist will be (of course) Various Artists.
    If this is not the case, the new artist will be the artist that is the artist on most tracks.
  • If the artist tag changes, the old artist should be added as a prefix to the track title

How can I do this? Is it possible to program foobar2000 to do this, or should I use a (Python) library to program this myself? Do you know a good library to update tags?

Thanks, Ernst

Re: How to automatically update tags for car (unsupported albumartist)

Reply #1
Have you tried if your player supports ALBUM ARTIST with a space instead of ALBUMARTIST?

Have you tried setting COMPILATION=1?

Reply #2
Have you tried if your player supports ALBUM ARTIST with a space instead of ALBUMARTIST?

Have you tried setting COMPILATION=1?
Thanks, I’ll try that.
Do you know how to edit those tags in foobar? Is it just manually adding them in the tagging window?

Reply #3
It is not possible to loop through an album and gather information about it in Foobar2000. Title formatting works on each file separately and forgets its state. If your library already uses the album artist field, you can transfer it to artist.

In Properties, choose Automatically Fill Values.

Source:
Other
%album artist% ### $if($strcmp(%album artist%,%artist%),,[%artist%: ])%title%

Pattern:
%artist% ### %title%

Same process can be done using Masstagger or Mp3Tag with a different GUI layout.

Reply #4
For COMPILATION just add manually as you say. But for ALBUM ARTIST foobar does some mapping ("invisible" to the user) and writes ALBUMARTIST unless you change this in preferences > advanced > tagging

But there are also tag formats to consider. For FLAC (Vorbis comments) it's straightforward to change this setting in foobar - I just tested and it works as intended. For mp3 (ID3) there's also a setting (Map TPE2 to Album Artist) but I'm not sure what it does and I don't have the time right now to fiddle around and test. There exist also ID3v1 and ID3v2 and I'm not sure about the difference in the case of TPE2/Albumartist. Maybe someone else can explain this.

Bottom line: If your player supports FLAC this is easy to tag & test, but for mp3 it may or may not be.

And to be clear: This may or may not be your player's problem, but it's the first step before you try the rather complex solution you suggested.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020