Skip to main content
Topic: Metadata not displaying on specific codec (Read 370 times) previous topic - next topic

Metadata not displaying on specific codec

Using
foobar 1.5.1-final
Mp3tag 2.99c-beta

Hello everyone,

I've been using Mp3tag to fill out metadata info on my music for archival purposes, and I've run into an interesting issue:

When using the MusicBrainz database, I get (among others) the following fields on any given file:

MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID
MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID
MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID

This is accomplished via Mp3tag WS script, and the same fields can be viewed correctly in the 'Extended Tags' window of Mp3tag.

In fb2000, on the same file, its Properties window presents the MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID field (Called 'MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ID') and MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID field (called MUSICBRAINZ ARTIST ID). MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID is NOT displayed (though the info is present).

Also, this only happens on mp3 files; on aac files (itunes m4a audio), MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID is presented on fb's Properties window, but is named 'MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID' (if in line with the other 2 fields, it should be named MUSICBRAINZ TRACK ID -notice the lack of blank spaces and the presence/absence of "_"). I do not have other formats in my library, so I cannot verify if this issues happens in them.

Again, all 3 fields are correctly written into the file(s), but one of them is only presented in foobar properties under certain conditions, and in a different style from similar fields.

Can anyone replicate this issue?
Is it a bug?
If not, are there settings in fb2000 that I'm overlooking?

Thank you.

Re: Metadata not displaying on specific codec

Reply #1
Here's some additional info:
on fb2000, creating a column with

$meta(MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID)

will NOT return results, despite the fact that that is the proper metafield name in Mp3tag.
In fb2000, MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID is presented under the designation MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ID; and using

$meta(MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ID)

will return the correct queried info.

In short:
- file with tag field 'MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID' added by Mp3tag, will display the same data under the field 'MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ID' in fb2000, without being told to do so. In fb2000 searching for 'MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID' won't work, but for MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ID will.

So, I'm assuming that the same field(s) get renamed by fb in order to be presented; the file itself is unchanged (MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID field remains), but this 'translation' must be what makes them behave differently or simply not being displayed in foobar.

This behaviour leads me to believe that this is in fact a bug, since nowhere in the Advanced Settings window these particular fields are indicated to be acted upon.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Reply #2
So, I'm assuming that the same field(s) get renamed by fb in order to be presented; the file itself is unchanged (MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID field remains), but this 'translation' must be what makes them behave differently or simply not being displayed in foobar.

The issue is actually the other way round: fb2k does not do any translation, but it would need to to properly support those tags.

The MusicBrainz ID tags get written differently depending on the underlying tagging format (see https://picard.musicbrainz.org/docs/mappings/). Mp3Tag properly supports this. MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID in this way is just the name Mp3Tag gives to this specific tag, but it knows how to write it to different formats. For ID3 that gets written to a freeform text field "TXXX:MusicBrainz Artist Id".

The MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID tag is special. ID3 supports a frame UFID (Unique file identifier), and this is used to store the MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID. For that a UFID frame with the owner set to "http://musicbrainz.org" and the ID set to the MusicBrainz recording ID.

Unfortunately fb2k, unlike many other players, neither supports UFID tags nor the special MusicBrainz tag mapping :(

See also my feature request to properly support the MusicBrainz tags in foobar2000:

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=118691.0

A workaround would probably be to script Mp3Tag to write these values to specific tags. But I don't know Mp3Tag good enough to tell you if and how this is possible.

Reply #3
Thank you phw;

I completely forgot that I'd already posted about this issue and was on my way to make a new thread.
I was thinking that the fault lied with Mp3Tag, but your explanation was very helpful.

Regarding Mp3Tag, its actually rather simple to translate a tag into another tag. You can even semi-automate the process (I'm literally using a script to duplicate "MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID" into "_MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID". It's not the most elegant solution, but until fb gets musicbrainz id tag support, I guess it will have to do.

I'll also support the feature request in your other post.

Thank you once again.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020