Skip to main content
Topic: Play random folder from desktop shortcut  (Read 188 times) previous topic - next topic

Play random folder from desktop shortcut

Hi,
First of all, sorry for my English. Second, i have foobar version 1.4.3 and all of my my music (albums) is in seperate folders. i.e. c:\Music\Artist - Album\*.mp3
I like to automate my applications :) I have got two issues with foobar that i can't deal with.

1. I would like to play a random folder in foobar2000 using a desktop shortcut. It should work like that: One shortcut on the desktop, when I click it it will randomly send to playlist and play one entire folder (album) from my Music Library. What type of command should i input into the shortcut?
2. I like to use my Visualisations, especially MilkDrop which is my favourite. If possible, i would like to above shortcut to be able to open this visualisation on start but i don't know how :(

Code: [Select]
"C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe" /play 
is a obvious start

"C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe" /play /command:"Peak Meter"
only for testing porpouses - it works

"C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe" /play /command:"Shpeck - Start 'MilkDrop 2.2 / MilkDrop 2.2'"
- does't work :(

I have searched the forum for solution a little bit but i connot find the answer. Can you help me please? 

Re: Play random folder from desktop shortcut

Reply #1
Hi there,

1. I would like to play a random folder in foobar2000 using a desktop shortcut. It should work like that: One shortcut on the desktop, when I click it it will randomly send to playlist and play one entire folder (album) from my Music Library. What type of command should i input into the shortcut?

I believe you would need the playlist already in foobar. You could make a playlist with all the albums you want (maybe entire library) and leave that as the default playlist, and then run a shortcut -

foobar2000.exe /command:"Shuffle (folders)" /play

Other than that, I'm not sure how you can send a random folder through a shortcut. Windows has no mechanism for that.

2. I like to use my Visualisations, especially MilkDrop which is my favourite. If possible, i would like to above shortcut to be able to open this visualisation on start but i don't know how :(

"C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe" /play /command:"Shpeck - Start 'MilkDrop 2.2 / MilkDrop 2.2'"
- does't work :(
This command might be not be possible with the command line.(?) Some of the foobar menus are only initialized after foobar starts up, because some menus are dynamic and can be changed afterwards, so they are not available to the default command line. (The 'Switch to playlist' and 'Device' menus, for example)

I guess custom 'Visualizations' menu is the same? (I could be wrong and someone might correct me, but seeing you have the correct format and it did not work, I'm guessing this is the case)

Perhaps you could activate Shpeck with a custom Spider Monkey Panel script in your layout, or AutoHotkey script external to foobar, if you are familiar with these.

Someone else here might be able to help you with a SMP script for on_playback_start or something.

Cheers

Reply #2
1. I would like to play a random folder in foobar2000 using a desktop shortcut.
I can't help you with that,
but there is a nice component, called Random Pools =>  foo_random_pools is a foobar2000 component for creating random playlist entries selected and grouped by various pool definitions.

It took a while until I understood how it works, but then it was of great help to play any kind of random albums/music and even folders.

You can tell the component, to randomly only play a single folder which has (or has not) a given tag.
(My usecase was, play random folder or album, which has no DISCOGS_RELEASE_ID tag)

Take a look at my screenshots, maybe they will inspire you to try out that funky component, so you could sit back and relax by listening to your random music and watching the stars %-]

Reply #3
2. I like to use my Visualisations, especially MilkDrop which is my favourite.
hmm..
actually, I don't know if this would help, but there is a component Run Command (Finds and executes menu commands) which might be useful here.
You should go to the discussion pages and read a little bit to get the idea and some examples.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020