Skip to main content
Topic: Unable to fast-forward or rewind some FLACs (Read 315 times) previous topic - next topic

Unable to fast-forward or rewind some FLACs

Hi All.  I’m new to this forum and I’m hoping someone can help me out. 

I use MusicBee and occasionally, when I’ve selected output to a UPnP device, I’m unable to fast-forward or rewind a FLAC that has been encoded by MusicBee, which if I get it right utilises FLAC v1.3.2.   Yet if I then encode such a FLAC with either dBpoweramp’s Music Converter, or with the MediaHuman Audio Converter, which uses Lavf58.20.100, fast-forward and rewind works.

I’m at a loss why this should occur - ::).  I always select standard compression and haven’t altered MusicBee’s default encoding parameter, which is: -b 512 -s -5 -o [outputfile] – 

Can anything be done to overcome this issue? 

Re: Unable to fast-forward or rewind some FLACs

Reply #1
Remove -b 512 if you don't use lossywav and let flac use its default blocksize. A blocksize of 512 afaik is only beneficial for optimizing the compression together with lossywav.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #2
Remove -b 512 if you don't use lossywav and let flac use its default blocksize. A blocksize of 512 afaik is only beneficial for optimizing the compression together with lossywav.

A speedy response Wombat and much appreciated – I’ll try what you suggest

Reply #3
I've now removed -b 512 and at the same time have upgraded to FLAC v1.3.3 20190804, but still no joy  :( .  I've re-encoded the tracks I'm having this issue with but remain unable to fast-forward or rewind them to a different position when they're playing them and when I've selected output to a UPnP device (a Pi/DAC running Moode Audio) - if I attempt this playback reverts back to the start of the track.  However, as before I can do this if I change the output to the PC or indeed to a DAC, via a SPDIF input.  Any further thoughts re' this issue will be really appreciated.

Reply #4
I lately noticed when my Logitech Media Server streams flac and decodes on the server side i can't skip inside files also. This once worked.
There is a possible fix and this fix is indeed related directly to flac behaviour.
Maybe somebody knowing more about the code can make sense out of this.
https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver/issues/277
https://github.com/mw9/flac/commit/8f43e76f5d25ce7874a2bdf766165deacc77680c
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020