Skip to main content

Notice

If you are using a Hotmail or Outlook email address, please change it now, as Microsoft is rejecting all email from our service outright.
Topic: Increasing level while converting from DSD to flac (Read 2290 times) previous topic - next topic

Increasing level while converting from DSD to flac

I have a question regarding converting from DSD to PCM (flac) with fb2k.
I have noticed that all DSD files (either separate dsf files or ISO images) have a lower audio level. In fact, after converting to flac and opening in Audacity, I have found that the level is at least 5 dB down.
What I have done so far, is using the "Amplify" tool in Audacity to increase the level. But this is a time consuming process.
My question is: Is there a way (a component maybe) to increase the audio level while doing the conversion from DSD to flac?
Although I have searched through, I haven't found something relevant.

Re: Increasing level while converting from DSD to flac

Reply #1
Do you use foo_input_sacd for decoding? It has built-in function to increase level.
As for component specially for level adjustment, there is foo_dsp_amp

Reply #2
Rollin,
Thank you for your immediate response.
Yes, I'm using foo_input_sacd component for decoding. I tried to increase the level in the Preferences, but the result was just the same: ca. 5 dB down.
I installed the proposed component for level adjustment (foo_dsp_amp), which worked perfectly.
Though, now I have another issue: In order to have foo_dsp_amp working, I had to update to the latest version of fb2k. Now, when I'm trying to convert from dsf to flac, I get the following message:

"Transcode Warning
foobar2000 does not support DSD pass-through; the conversion will NOT be lossless.
Are you sure?"

What does this mean and what should I do? With the previous version of fb2k I didn't receive such a warning while I was converting DSD files to PCM flac.

Reply #3
What does this mean and what should I do?
It just means that DSD will be converted to PCM. Nothing to worry about. You can permanently disable this warning.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020