Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Where can I download fraunhofer mp3 encoder from? (Read 4613 times) previous topic - next topic

Where can I download fraunhofer mp3 encoder from?

From which site is it possible to download the Fraunhofer mp3 encoder, since it is said that in cbr mode it is higher than Lame?

Thank you

Re: Where can I download fraunhofer mp3 encoder from?

Reply #1
dBpowerAmp ($39 USD) Comes with LAME and the Fraunhofer encoder.

since it is said that in cbr mode it is higher than Lame?
As far as I know, LAME is the best, or at higher bitrates both should be transparent on most material.

Reply #2
Somewhere I read that we recommended Lame for VBR mode and Fraunhofer for CBR mode, especially when ripping audio CDs.

Reply #3
Somewhere I read that we recommended Lame for VBR mode and Fraunhofer for CBR mode, especially when ripping audio CDs.
Origins of that suggestion date, like, from 15 years ago, from people who also suggested to turn of joint stereo encoding because 'I don't understand what it does but I don't like how the option name sounds like' . Use lame, it is the best encoder overall, and at bitrates that high, it really doesn't matter. If you care about preserving quality, use lossless.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #4
Origins of that suggestion date, like, from 15 years ago, from people who also suggested to turn of joint stereo encoding because 'I don't understand what it does but I don't like how the option name sounds like' . Use lame, it is the best encoder overall, and at bitrates that high, it really doesn't matter. If you care about preserving quality, use lossless.
Thank you very much

Reply #5
From which site is it possible to download the Fraunhofer mp3 encoder, since it is said that in cbr mode it is higher than Lame?

Thank you

From memory only at 128 cbr , And if I remember right, there was a post here, saying the Helix codec at 128 cbr was the best codec at that time, early 2000s (2005-06).
But maybe my memory could be failing me.

Reply #6

The improvements over years must have really paid off considering I cannot tell the difference between the results of LAME 3.99 -k and Fraunhofer MP3, at least at 320kbps CBR.