Skip to main content
Topic: Best Practice Album Art (Read 609 times) previous topic - next topic

Best Practice Album Art

I'm looking for some best practice ideas cover or album art. This is about if you rather search the internet for a digital version or do you scan the CD cover, what do you do you when the cover is not a square?

I currently scan a few CD covers and try to improve the process of doing so. Like that you don't need a perfect crop in VueScan but you can do that later. But you should turn on Descreen to get a better result.

I mostly went on this topic because I noticed that I got a 12 MB file from MusicBrainz for a cover which simply too big for that, so I explored better ideas.

Re: Best Practice Album Art

Reply #1
I will use Google image search to try and find my covers. If no luck I will try Discogs or scan it myself. If it's not square I will crop it. I then save at 600x600 pixels.

Reply #3
DB Poweramp & PerfectTunes. :-X

Reply #4
I typically get 600px square art at albumartexchange.com. Filesize averages 200k. I'm not big on embedding and just put the "Cover.jpg" in the same folder as the FLAC files.

Reply #5
I typically get 600px square art at albumartexchange.com. Filesize averages 200k. I'm not big on embedding and just put the "Cover.jpg" in the same folder as the FLAC files.

I don't know where you are in the world but albumartexchange and freecovers have been down for ages here in the UK.

Reply #6
I usually check the iTunes Artwork Finder first. The artwork here is often 1500x1500 or higher saved at maximum jpeg quality. The filesizes are pretty large at that quality setting, though, so I typically use Gimp or PhotoShop or similar to resave as a level 9 (or 90% quality), which radically brings down the filesize without, to my eyes, visible quality loss. At this stage I'll also crop to square if necessary. My goal is the highest resolution I can get for 1MB or less, saved as a "folder.jpg" rather than embedded.

Reply #7
I usually check the iTunes Artwork Finder first. The artwork here is often 1500x1500 or higher saved at maximum jpeg quality. The filesizes are pretty large at that quality setting, though, so I typically use Gimp or PhotoShop or similar to resave as a level 9 (or 90% quality), which radically brings down the filesize without, to my eyes, visible quality loss. At this stage I'll also crop to square if necessary. My goal is the highest resolution I can get for 1MB or less, saved as a "folder.jpg" rather than embedded.
Exactly the same process minus that I leave the original file as is. I'm also not fond of embedding to each file the same file for artwork, it's redundant. I just leave it with the title "albumart.jpg" which seems to work even on Android.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019