1.5b21 can't read some tags

MediaInfo show it.

Re: 1.5b21 can't read some tags

Reply #1
I cannot even play it.
I'm late

Reply #2
It's 313 ms of silence - so it's normal.

Reply #3
I see, so something's wrong with my setup,  because it totally freezes foobar2000.
I'm late

Reply #4
This file is a mass of issues.  MediaInfo reports the file duration as 3m40s.  Running it through MP3val produces this report:

WARNING: "C:\Test\id3.mp3" (offset 0x30227): It seems that file is truncated or there is garbage at the end of the file
WARNING: "C:\Test\id3.mp3": Wrong number of MPEG frames specified in Xing header (8429 instead of 14)
WARNING: "C:\Test\id3.mp3": Wrong number of MPEG data bytes specified in Xing header (8808488 instead of 14627)

Letting MP3val attempt a fix results in the correct duration of 313ms being shown by MediaInfo.  The ID3v2.4 tag exists--shows in Kid3 and in AIMP.  I think the duration is just too short for Foobar to grab the tags, even though it appears to "play" there, as in AIMP, after the fix.

Reply #5
There was serveral such files, i just cut small sample. And i'm sure that duration must not prevent showing tag data.

Reply #6
Thanks for the problem sample file, I'm looking into it. At least parts of the ID3 info can be salvaged from it.

Reply #7
Looks like some software writes ID3v2.3 tags but with header indicating that it's ID3v2.4.
What's more scary is that it seems mainstream software out there manages to read such tags "correctly", means they either disregard portions of the specification (more likely) or have specific workarounds for such files (less likely).

Reply #8
What's more scary is that it seems mainstream software out there manages to read such tags "correctly", means they either disregard portions of the specification (more likely) or have specific workarounds for such files (less likely).
FWIW, in the case of Kid3, if the id3lib library plugin is given priority over the taglib library, the results are the same as with Foobar--no tags are found.  So it must be taglib providing the "helpful" results there.

Reply #9
TagLib doesn't appear to do anything significantly different between v2.2, 2.3, or 2.4, other than the frame name conversions when promoting the tag (everything is promoted to v2.4), and v2.4 input supporting unsynchronization.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019