Skip to main content
Topic: [non bug] .m3u Suffix in URL Causes Error (Read 254 times) previous topic - next topic

[non bug] .m3u Suffix in URL Causes Error

Streaming audio URL with a .m3u suffix causes the error 'Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported file format):
"http://icecast.bdfm.radio:8000/blackdiamondfm.m3u" '. 

Obviously, m3u is actually a supported format since that is the file format I use for all playlists.  This URL has been tested with 3 other audio players and works fine with all of them.  If ".m3u" is removed from the end of the URL, it works in foobar2000.  My guess is the file extension check is made against an incorrect list before any attempt to stream from the URL.

I've attached a copy of the actual local playlist file experiencing the error.

Re: Bug Report V1.4.8 - .m3u Suffix in URL Causes Error

Reply #1
In Foobar 1.5 beta 20, I pasted the url "http://icecast.bdfm.radio:8000/blackdiamondfm.m3u" in the File/Add Location box.  It added without errors, and clicking the new entry resulted in a playing 128k mp3 radio stream for "107.8 Black Diamond FM."  The file path entry in the Properties window then shows the entry minus the .m3u extension, but there were no issues adding it WITH the extension.  I know you are using 1.4.8, but just FWIW.

Reply #2
Thanks for checking it out.  Because of your test, I've now tried adding it the way you did.  It also works for me that way. 

Using the file I provided, please try dragging and dropping into the playlist area.  It adds to the playlist just fine, but cannot be played.

Reply #3
I attempted to open the .m3u with my own player, Cog, and it fails. Attempting to add the URL using curl also results in an error, but only because I attempted a HEAD request, which is apparently bad for Icecast servers.

I believe the issue here is that the player is being fed a playlist which contains links to other playlists. I don't think any of the playlist loaders in either foobar2000 (or my Cog player) support nested playlists.

Reply #4
Thanks for checking.  That file has been tested with 3 other players.  I personally tried it with WinAmp.  It works with all 3.

Reply #5
Recursive playlists are not supported. This is by design. There is no reason why anyone should do this, other than crashing music players with infinite recursions.

Re: [non bug] .m3u Suffix in URL Causes Error

Reply #6
Thanks

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019