Skip to main content
Topic: Mobile iOS not sorting albums correctly (Read 282 times) previous topic - next topic
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mobile iOS not sorting albums correctly

I'm seeing some odd behavior from the mobile v1.1.53 for iOS. I'm running it on an iPad mini with iOS 9.3.5. Also running 1.4.8 on Win 10.x.

I've got a large, multi-disc album ripped via EAC. Metadata came from freedb. There was some inconsistency in metadata from the freedb database. See here. Bottom line, I fixed the inconsistencies using the desktop install and the album organizes properly there.

But in mobile, it's a different story. Foobar sorts the tracks into two different albums, one with the proper album name and the other with "Unknown Album". I've pasted relevant portions of my issue from the general forum to here because I think it may be a bug:

The two albums show file names differently: the correct album shows tag data like disc# and track# in the same format the desktop uses (D.TT) and displays album title and artist name when playing a track,...The incorrect album shows each file as named in the folder structure and displays that name when playing, while displaying "Unknown Artist" and "Unknown Album". There's also no progress slider on any tracks from this incorrect album. Leads me to believe the mobile install isn't picking up on a lot of the data attached to the file.

Please let me know what other info you need to determine if this is indeed a bug.

Re: Mobile iOS not sorting albums correctly

Reply #1
It sounds like iOS foobar has cached the original incorrect info and is not updating it properly or cache/index has become corrupted (?)

I have no idea how to reset it though ...

I imagine it probably involves having to reload the library, which our friendly developer Peter mentioned in this thread on the mobile forum -

Quote
A full info reload of affected files is needed to prune the wrong info from the database; please toggle the affected music folder off and back on in Media Library settings.

I'm not a mobile foobar or iOS user though so hesitant to suggest anything else. In the future though I would make sure tags are correct on desktop before syncing music to devices, always a good rule of thumb. ;)

Cheers

Re: Mobile iOS not sorting albums correctly

Reply #2
It sounds like iOS foobar has cached the original incorrect info and is not updating it properly or cache/index has become corrupted (?)

I thought so as well and removed/added the ftp folder from the library several times to no avail. Also, even newly ripped tracks from this album, properly tagged, are being treated this way; about half or so from disks I ripped yesterday went to the correct album and the other half to the incorrect one.

I've gone ahead and removed/reinstalled foobar on the iPad to see if there is any change. I'll report back once indexing is completed.

Re: Mobile iOS not sorting albums correctly

Reply #3
After a removal/reinstall of foobar mobile, the problem persists; some files seem to be recognized/sorted by tags while others seem to be recognized/sorted by file name.

Re: Mobile iOS not sorting albums correctly

Reply #4
forum for mobile users - foobar2000 mobile forum
korth

Re: Mobile iOS not sorting albums correctly

Reply #5
forum for mobile users - foobar2000 mobile forum

korth, thanks for the redirect. I was aware of the other forum but did not know it was mobile-specific, nor that this one is specific to desktop. I'll repost this issue there.


BUG: Mobile iOS not sorting albums correctly

Reply #6
I posted in the foobar2000 Mobile forum but it's crickets over there.

I think I've found a causal factor. I've retagged multiple times, most recently with MP3tag. When I indexed after this last re-tagging, I got 699 421 errors from my FTP server. The incorrect album, the one that is just listing the filenames with no tagging data, had 699 tracks in it (the number of tracks fluctuates). I'll try to duplicate tomorrow and see if the number of tracks in the "ghost" album matches the number of FTP errors.

I should note that the Library Configuration page correctly reports the number of tracks and the number of albums (now 1183 tracks and 2 albums) in the scan results even though it sorts some tracks to another "ghost" album.

I still think this is a bug, either with the way foobar interacts with the FTP server or with how it's sorting.

Re: Mobile iOS not sorting albums correctly

Reply #7
Hi again,

How strange. Can you try taking FTP out of the equation and test with a different source? - Copy a few of the troublesome tracks to an SD Card or directly to your iPad, and add the new location to the foobar media library. See how foobar reads them from there. Process of elimination...

(The occasional post about mobile issues pop up here from time to time, not a problem I tend to think)

Cheers

Re: Mobile iOS not sorting albums correctly

Reply #8
I followed your advice and downloaded 2 tracks which were showing up in the ghost album directly to my iPad. Foobar sorted them to the proper album after they downloaded to the foobar2000Music folder.

I'm talking with Linksys about the FTP issues to see if I can make adjustments to my router outside their smartwifi software. I will also give a try to several other ideas.

Thanks! 

Re: Mobile iOS not sorting albums correctly

Reply #9
Update on this issue. I took my iPad to an offsite location and connected to the ftp server back home to index my flac files. Everything indexed properly with no 421 "Too Many Connections" errors. Still unsure if this is a foobar issue in the way it handles FTP connections or if I've got a LAN/FTP setting I need to change. Exploring the latter.

 
SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019