Skip to main content
Topic: WavPack correction files (foobar playback and restoration) (Read 614 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPack correction files (foobar playback and restoration)

How to be sure that correction files are actually used for lossless playback and lossless restoration?
I was testing this feature and I cannot tell is it working in foobar2000 or not because there is no "confirmation"
that foobar is using wvc file for playback and lossless restoration (or I don't know where to look :D).
Is there a way to know for sure or is there a command line switch (or foobar feature) that could verifiy that wvc file is actually being used?

Re: WavPack correction files (foobar playback and restoration)

Reply #1
I was wondering the same sometime back.  I tested the furious sample at the lowest bitrate and it played without issues ,  I then renamed the .WVC and then the sample became problematic sounding. So from that I concluded that the WVC is used in latest foobar2000 versions.

Further to that, In the foobar properties section under 'encoding' you will get values 'lossless' for a lossless .wv and otherwise 'hybrid' for lossy.

On the commandline, you can try wvunpack -s * for info , or wvunpack -v * for decompress error testing- it will display 'lossless' if wvc is read OK.
wavpack 4.8 -b256hx6c

Reply #2
Thanks a lot. ;-)

Reply #3
I just discovered that foobar "codec column" displays that hybrid + correction is being played so that will solve the wvc files. :)

Reply #6
Just reporting that my player already supported Hybrid+Correction as of my last post in that topic, but it only works with same-name, same-path. It's probably not really feasible to expect full system indexing to find the right correction files.

Reply #8
Just reporting that my player already supported Hybrid+Correction as of my last post in that topic, but it only works with same-name, same-path. It's probably not really feasible to expect full system indexing to find the right correction files.
Personally, I think that's fine. Maybe I'm just too disorganized, but I never bought into the idea of having the corrections files by themselves, especially without metadata or GUIDs tying them together.

Reply #9
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=113003.0

Can this 1KHz tone be considered as problem sample and hard to encode for wavpack lossy?

No. It was artificially created for this purpose with a hard-coded abuse of the noise-shaping feature (it cannot be created with the standard encoder). That's what creates the swooshing.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019