Skip to main content
Topic: Request/question: how to rate current track from anywhere via hot-key? (Read 391 times) previous topic - next topic

Request/question: how to rate current track from anywhere via hot-key?

Hi,
I would like to suggest a feature or, if this already exist please help me how to: I want to bind my numpad keys to rate current track (1-5 stars) and maybe even an additional option to wait until the track is rated before start playing next track (or repeat the same track over and over until you rate it)
Is there any plugin that can do that or maybe developer/somebody can add that functionality to the player? I think its a nice option to have for people who rate their library. And one more thing, this option should work system wise even if player is hidden or you play the game in full-screen.

Re: Request/question: how to rate current track from anywhere via hot-key?

Reply #1
The first thing that comes to mind is the quicktag plugin, which allows you to add custom menu commands for arbitrary tagging. Once you have the context menu commands for each value form 1 to 5, you can bind them to keyboard shortcuts, such as ctrl+1, ctrl+2, etc..
I'm late

Reply #2
If you use Playback Statistics component you don't need to alter the actual tags of the files. You can just assign global hotkeys in preferences for rating at [context / now playing] \ Playback Statistics \ Rating \ number. Javascript panels might be able to prevent playback from advancing before track is rated but otherwise there is no component for that.

Reply #3
Thank you guys, will try that soon. Shame we don't have that option by default :-)

Reply #4
Managed to get it working but that QuickTag plugin always asks to confirm the changes, is there a way to disable that?
And actually plugin changes not the current playing track but the file that is selected in FB (cursor) which makes it useless. :(

Reply #5
An alternate option is to use masstagger component. You create a tagging script which you can then use to bind to a key action in foobar2000.

First in masstagger create two actions to perform by clicking the add button and select "remove field". Field to remove would be rating or anything else you would want it named. Next add a second action, this time select "Add Value". Set Value to 1, this is your script for rating files 1. The reason why you first need to remove a field value is because otherwise each run of the script would append the value to the previous one. Create the other scripts for the other ratings.

Now to bind your scripts to keys select foobar2000 preferences. Select keyboard shortcuts, in the assigned shortcuts select add new and in the action window search for your action script under context / now playing - tagging - scripts. "Context / now playing" assures the tracks you will be rating will be those which are currently playing no matter where the focus in foobar2000 is.

Reply #6
Managed to get it working but that QuickTag plugin always asks to confirm the changes, is there a way to disable that?

In the component's preferences page, you can set the minimum number of tracks that trigger the confirmation dialog. You probably have it set to 0.

And actually plugin changes not the current playing track but the file that is selected in FB (cursor) which makes it useless. :(

When creating the keyboard shortcut, make sure you select the [context/now playing] type.
I'm late

Reply #7
One extra thing you can do with masstagger, if you don't use the remove value within the action script and the script appends each value next the the other you're creating what is sometimes called an "edit train". Essentially it would show a rating history as a multivalue like this: 5; 4; 3; 4. With some titleformatting it would then be possible to show only the last value but in tagging field you'd then have a history of which ratings you applied to a song before. I'm playing with the idea of implementing this myself.

Reply #8
"edit train"
Of what use is this, when there is no date field, telling you, when you rated the song, so you can see, that in 1989 you loved that song so much, you rate it 5 and in 1997 you hated it, because your girlfriend broke up with you, so you rated it only 2, and in 2005 you had forgotten about the old hearthache and are in a retro-phase, where you rated it 4. Now its 2019 and you feel ok listening to it and think about the good old times, giving it a 3 star rating, because you have rated so many songs, the old 5 stars would not compare to your todays rating scheme with about 9000 rated songs... gosh... 9k? how old are we? :-D

Well, and... if you think about the project (aka lots of work and spent time), which will come to your table, when you need to add something to the layout, to display all those information pretty and appealing, I guess, you're just happy with the last rating and hopefully remember the good times you had with that song ;-)

(just kidding, everyone needs a hobby!)

Reply #9
Of what use is your comment?  8)

Reply #10
Of what use is your comment?  8)
When you have implemented the idea, let us know the code and how it looks, please. I'm curious.

Reply #11
Bartender, I'll have whatever fuffi is having! ;)

Of what use is this, when there is no date field ...
Excellent point, well made. You could add several date fields (%rating_date_0%, %rating_date_1%, etc) for each multi-value rating (using Masstagger: Format Value to %now%) - that way you would NEVER forget the exact date your girlfriend broke up with you! :P

Even better, add a %rating_reason% field to remind you exactly what happened. And to display it -

Code: [Select]
[This song was rated $meta(rating,1) stars on %rating_date_1% when $meta(rating_reason,1).]

(See, foobar2000 is your best friend! Lol :D )

Reply #12
You guys log rating date when you rate your files? I only log when a song played. I don't care much for when I chance a song's rating.
If only masstagger allowed to use field values as input for an add value action this would be easily solved by adding %last_modified% after the rating action and set it to something like %modified_rating%. Then you'd essentially have an array of date stamps wherein the position of the date stamp within the array corresponds to the same position of the ratings.
So $meta(modified_rating,2) would then correspond to $meta(rating,2) since the ratings and date stamps are always allocated from the same script they will always match.
Too bad, masstagger can't use anything %% and append it, It can use field values using "format value from other fields" but that doesn't append values but merely replaces it.

It seems having a rating log seems an out of this world crazy idea to some. I better not tell what else I've been logging on files for the last 10 years then lol. I could do without all this sarcasm though.

Reply #13
It seems having a rating log seems an out of this world crazy idea to some.
No no no no (speeking quickly and waving my hands).
My post was not meant to stop you from sharing your ideas or trying to downvote it.
It was only an addition to your undertaking (with a little bit of prosa, I admit). And it was honest....thus, and you see, it was enhanced by anamorphic too!

I have such (crazy or useful, who cares) ideas myself, but those are (at least for me) hard to realize, because of the time it takes to get a perfect result and I'll never know, if I will and can use it in real-foobar-life!

I better not tell what else I've been logging on files for the last 10 years then lol. I could do without all this sarcasm though.
Please, do share with us!

So lets tell the bartender, this round is on me :-)
(imagine a :beer: smiley here)

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019