Skip to main content
Topic: A poll on AAC: Which encoder & what settings? (Read 568 times) previous topic - next topic

A poll on AAC: Which encoder & what settings?

After more than 2 decades AAC is still one of the most popular lossy audio codec. It's everywhere: hardware level support on your phones, used by your favorite streaming service and of course iTunes.

But how do you use it? Which encoder, at what settings and how do you listen to your music?

Do this survey and let us know.

Re: A poll on AAC: Which encoder & what settings?

Reply #1
nero, qaac, fhg, fdk, faac, ffmpeg...
different encoders - different settings and "politic" (some use only cbr (ffmpeg?), some only vbr (faac)) - different result.

Reply #2
I use 192kbps QAAC on 1 song while the rest is V0 Lame.
Got locked out on a password i didn't remember. :/

Reply #3
I use Foobar2000 for making AAC(Apple) (from lossless files obviously) since Apple's AAC encoder seems to be considered the best (why bother with anything else as far as AAC goes?). my signature pretty much sums up what I prefer as far as AAC goes, which is pretty much TVBR q45 (96kbps) as I tend to use that as a general minimum for AAC, although for someone who likes to play it a little safer with AAC, can opt for TVBR q64 (128kbps) as I feel with any high quality encoder (i.e. Apple AAC/Opus) you probably don't need more than 128kbps or so otherwise efficiency starts to decline quite a bit for minimal sound quality improvements that many would probably not even notice on typical speakers/headphones.

p.s. I generally use Opus when possible but outside of Opus, AAC (Apple) seems to be best. I don't see much reason to use MP3 anymore (especially since the Opus developer said that in general Opus gives same quality as MP3 at about 60% of the bit rate (i.e. for example... Opus @ 80kbps would be about the same as LAME v5 (130kbps)) unless your device can't use Opus or AAC.
For music (especially on-the-go)...
-I suggest Opus @ 96kbps (or... 64kbps minimum, 128kbps maximum). *preferred choice*
-I suggest AAC(Apple) @ 96kbps (q45 TVBR) or 128kbps (q64 TVBR). *secondary choice*
-I use Foobar2000 (/w Encoders Pack etc) to convert FLAC to Opus/AAC(Apple).

Reply #4
For me AAC (Nero) Q0.41 has been doing fine for portable and home listening.
Listen to the music, not the media.
Qualidade em MP3

Reply #5
It's so often used in live streaming, it's somewhat of a standard. I use it because I have to, mostly.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019