Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: High end ($$) speaker vs subwoofers for the bass response (Read 8916 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: High end ($$) speaker vs subwoofers for the bass response

Reply #25
Thanks ajinfla for the good info :)

Reply #26
Adding more speaker locations creates more reflections, dead zones, etc. The more complicated you make the system, the more it and the room have to be tuned to accommodate a single seating position within the room for optimal performance.

Well, you need more speakers if you want to play content that consists of more than two channels.  Beyond that obvious point, a multichannel system actually can make the room *less* of a factor (because more direct sound from more sources) and *mask* some audio deficits better than 2 channel...as Floyd Toole notes, since we are referencing him often here.  (He's also a fan of upmixing 2 channel content).

Reply #27
As I understand it there are two primary issues with full range vs main and subwoofer; two drivers with some frequency overlap will add together in a mixture of in and out of phase depending on frequency and room location, and when a single driver is outputting mid bass as well as very low bass the driver excursion mixes with the mid bass output creating I think IM distortion. Generally I find the latter worse than the former, and high pass my mains and use a subwoofer for low bass.