Skip to main content
Topic: Backup & Restore - nested playlists & keyboard shortcut issues (Read 916 times) previous topic - next topic

Backup & Restore - nested playlists & keyboard shortcut issues

Heya,
I've just updated to 1.4.6, from an old 1.3* version portable, and I have the same problem:
https://www.reddit.com/r/foobar2000/comments/aecea9/problem_with_backing_up_playlists/

Essentially I can't seem to find a way to restore my playlists... and since it's a few huindred, dragging, dropping & rescanning for each is not really an option.
Does anyone know the way around this ?
Copying the .fpl files from old "/playlists-v1.3" to new portable installs' "/playlists-v1.4" folder yields the folder structure (insie foo_plorg), but not a single playlist, and after shutting down foobar 1.4.6, the fpl "/playlists-v1.4" folder (that were copied from "/playlists-v1.3" folder of the previous installation), have been removed.

Secondly, and this has escaped me on every reinstall for the past years - where are custom hotkeys saved ?
I seem to have to recreate them every time by hand as well, once I update to a new clean install version... and there does not seem to be a file associated with them ?

Cheers.
c.

Re: Backup & Restore - nested playlists & keyboard shortcut issues

Reply #1
How to successfully read/import fpl playlists-v1.3 as playlists-v1.4 felt like a simple/direct question with a simple solution.
Any pointers if this is too simple/silly (and is documented/asked somewhere and I just haven't found it yet...) or just not possible would be grand.
If the later is the case, then the question why - as updating foobar portable insatlls used to be straight forward and painless (apart from the hotkeys...) - would come next.... :D
Cheerio.
c.

Reply #2
The question doesn't make sense. You update foobar2000 by installing a new version over. Every setting is preserved and playlists imported.

Reply #3
The playlist format changed somewhere in the transition from foobar v1.3 to v1.4. I think he is trying to brute-force overwrite the contents of the playlists-v1.4 folder with those directly backed up from the old (v1.3) format. And that unsurprisingly doesn't work since the two are incompatible.

I'd suggest reverting to the v1.3 version (which has playlists stored in \playlists\), then overwriting the foobar directory with a portable installation of v1.4. That should, as far as I remember, auto-convert the old playlists to the new format on launch (and move these upgraded versions into \playlists-v1.4\) and also create/move the old ones to \playlists-v1.3\ as a backup. That should be all you need to do and the backup can even be deleted if everything went fine.

https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Version_1.4_Release_Notes

Reply #4
The question doesn't make sense. You update foobar2000 by installing a new version over. Every setting is preserved and playlists imported.
You can't imagine cases when one doesn't want to install a new version over, and over and and over the olde....?
Interesting, but fair enough. To each his/her own.

trying to brute-force overwrite the contents of the playlists-v1.4 folder with those directly backed up from the old (v1.3) format. And that unsurprisingly doesn't work since the two are incompatible.
Thanks for the input.
One could call it brute force. But, I have 2 portable installs.
The olde Foobar 1.3.6 I have been running for the last years.
And a new, squeaky clean 1.4.6 one.
Now I want to move the playlists from the 1.3.6 to the 1.4.6 portable directories (as well as themes & hotkeys. The former no issue and works as intended. The later, hotkeys don't seem to have an associated file (?) ).
And thanks for confirming 1.3 playlists being incompatible with 1.4.

Now, instead of overwriting and hoping some mysterious 'auto-convert' functionality might or might not kick in when updating, how can I actively trigger 'auto-convert'  functionality of playlists-v1.3 to playlists-v1.4 compatible content ?
This  'auto-convert'  functionality surely has a trigger (other than updating one portable over the other...) ?

Cheers.
c.

Reply #5
Also - I tried: "updating one portable over the other"
Same result.  Just empty playlist folders in foo_plorg tree structure, and nothing in foobar's own playlist tab,

2nd test - just copying the olde "/playlists-v1.3" into the to new portable dir of 1.4.6, and starting up the exe does nothing. My hope was that the mere presence of a "/playlists-v1.3" might be trigger for the conversion, alas, it ain't seemingly.

In case someone could shed some light, how one could update to a clean portable install but use the mysterious 'auto convert' on a "/playlists-v1.3" folder/contents in a controlled manner, please let me know.

Cheers.
c.

Reply #6
3rd test - found the trigger for the 'auto-convert'  functionality... the issue seems to have been that I started 1.4.6 up with no playlist folders once. Which in turn created a "/playlists-v1.4" with an empty index file. So, for others who get tripped up by this :
- copy "/playlists-v1.3" folder/contents to the new/clean 1.4.x portable install
- delete the "/playlists-v1.4" folder if there is one (with no *.fpl files inside!)
- on next start up,  "/playlists-v1.3" will be recreated inside a new "/playlists-v1.4" folder with all .fpl files, i.e. the 'auto-conversion'.

Oh well. Got there in the end...
Cheers.
c.

Reply #7
Another way:
old fb2k:
Hold Shift - menu File -> Save all playlists...
new fb2k:
File -> Load playlist... -> select all playlists -> Open.

Reply #8
Another way:
Yup.
I have 300+ playlist though, living inside of (~50 ish) folders inside of the foo_plorg component... which complicates things further going traditional export routes...
All good though, I found the trigger, it converted all playlists from 1.3 to 1.4, and they also live inside their respective foo_plorg folders too. yay.
As another upside, maybe this thread helps others achieve the same in less time... :D

Now, if anyone has a hint as to where hotkeys are stored...?

c.

Spoke too soon. All playlist live in the same folder in foo_plorg now :/

Reply #9
Hotkeys are stored in core.cfg. But I can't wrap my head around why someone would want to set things up manually between versions. The installer is designed to make upgrading as simple as possible and you can upgrade from any version since 0.9 to the latest with minimal extra files left behind. Upgrading from the 13 years old version leaves NeroAacWrapper.exe as an extra that you'll have to manually delete if the 104KB disk usage bothers you. Also old playlist directories and database.dat are left behind that you can manually delete if you know you won't downgrade. Other than that there should be nothing extra.

Reply #10
Since I've dragged along my preferences & everthing else since 1.1 ish, something has gone awry with the UIs. Which I am hoping to fix by starting clean.
But one of them is related to foo_plorg component/tab too, and it's already re-occuring (i.e. the artwork UI component, upon start up, is pushed outside of the frame when the foo_plorg tab is active and is a single gray 1 pixel line... and had to be 'fixed' by switching to the playlist tab once... after which it re-sized as it was positioned as it was before).
Second issue was that resizing windowed foobar has become broken when updating to 1.3.6. which i.e. if in windowed mode would not resize anymore and have a height ratio greater than my 4k screen resolution. So became useless in windowed, and I didn't bother with it for years, and never found the reason.
The later is now fixed at least, with the clean portable install, and switching major versions seemed to be a good reason to do a conscious reset...
c.

Reply #11
My version is upgraded all the way from 0.9 alpha days. Updates are not a problem. The installer has two options - regular installation and a portable install that just extracts the files and removes unnecessary old files. But it's not surprising if 1.3.6 has bugs, it's over four years old and there have been a lot of bugfixes since.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019