Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: how much gain is too much for the PL-28II (Read 2397 times) previous topic - next topic

how much gain is too much for the PL-28II

im running a pair of BIC Acoustech PL-28II Center Speakers - off a crown xli 800 as duel centers they sound great but some times they distort iv got

the crown at gain knob at 40% is that to hi the amp sensitivity set at .775Vrms an

my outlaw audio 976 receiver has a 4volt xlr output ,an my current signal
output to the centers is at - 7db im not using the eq because iv found that

almost everythinng sound great without it ,, that being said every once an while i get some distortion at 5000khz an 7000khz , i am wondering if

upgrading to the crown xls 1002 an using the lowpass or bandpass filter options
would help

any advice let me know

Re: how much gain is too much for the PL-28II

Reply #1
Are you listening "loud", or are you in a large space? 

The "weak link" is probably the speakers, but with your setup in a "living room" environment I wouldn't expect distortion at any "reasonable" listening levels.

the crown at gain knob at 40% is that to hi the amp sensitivity set at .775Vrms an
I assume you haven't measured that?   40% rotation of an audio taper potentiometer is far less than 40% of the voltage.   (40% of the voltage is -8dB.)

You might try cranking that up (then turn down the receiver volume as desired).

my outlaw audio 976 receiver has a 4volt xlr output ,an my current signal
I assume that's the spec...   I assume you didn't measure that...   Of course, the voltage of real program material depends on the volume control and the moment-to-moment loudness of the program so a voltage measurement is meaningless unless you are measuring the peak (not easy) or unless you're playing test tones.

while i get some distortion at 5000khz an 7000khz
How did you determine that frequency?   And, is that the distortion component or the fundamental before distortion?    It's possible that there's an odd resonance at that frequency but you'd have to do some speaker/room measurements to determine that.