Skip to main content
Topic: Difference/relationship between Buffer lenght and Read-ahead (Read 491 times) previous topic - next topic

Difference/relationship between Buffer lenght and Read-ahead

I store my music (mostly FLACs) on an external hard drive. If I leave the player paused in the middle of a song, come back minutes later and press play the song will play for a second, stop for two while the hard drive wakes up, and then resume as usual.

Both of these options were left as default on my foobar2000 installation (output > buffer length 1000ms, advanced > playback > buffering > read-ahead for local files and full file buffering up to (kB) : 0).

What are the differences/relationship between these two, and what would be the best option/course of action to prevent this behavior?

Re: Difference/relationship between Buffer lenght and Read-ahead

Reply #1
When I was using a similar set up I would just increase the output buffer length to 7000-8000ms. Increasing the buffer length will increase the amount of ram being used by foobar if that is a possible area of concern.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #2
What are the differences/relationship between these two
Output buffer contains data after decoding and passing DSPs. Read-ahead buffer contains undecoded data read from file.

Reply #3
what would be the best option/course of action to prevent this behavior?

Make sure this setting is checked:
    Advanced -> Playback -> Prevent hard disk sleep while playing

Reply #4
When I was using a similar set up I would just increase the output buffer length to 7000-8000ms. Increasing the buffer length will increase the amount of ram being used by foobar if that is a possible area of concern.
Yes, 5000ms were enough to make the problem go away. Thank you for the info.

Reply #6
what would be the best option/course of action to prevent this behavior?

Make sure this setting is checked:
    Advanced -> Playback -> Prevent hard disk sleep while playing

Enabled this a month ago, but on my experience it seems to only prevent sleep... while playing, though it seems like the appropriate behavior.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019