Skip to main content
Topic: Any decent sub £50 power amps (Read 1470 times) previous topic - next topic

Any decent sub £50 power amps

I'm wanting a power amp for listening in my garage. Anything decent under around £50 new, or am I better buying secondhand? I'd want at least 20W for when I want to turn the volume up, but otherwise I'm easy. I don't need a volume control (listening from a chromecast audio) but something with the option to get the input level would be handy, so I don't risk damaging the speakers if the chromecast makes a noise at full volume.

There are a lot of imported mini amps going cheap on ebay. Have any of these been measured/tested and found decent? Or anything else worth looking at new?

Re: Any decent sub £50 power amps

Reply #2
Thanks! That looks interesting, though the quoted 25W into 8ohms is with 10% THD. Wonder what the max output would be with THD low enough to be inaudible...

Reply #3
Ended up getting an old Cambridge Audio A1 with change from £30 - assuming it arrives in decent working order, should be adequate enough and give me a bit more effective power when I want to turn the volume up... Thanks for the ideas, though!

Reply #4
Wonder what the max output would be with THD low enough to be inaudible...
In your garage??
I highly doubt you would notice anything with a large number of those inexpensive Asian mini-amps.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #5
Fair point! Though my garage is usually really quite quiet (bar music playing) - I use it for working out in, rather than car repairs etc...

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019