Skip to main content

Notice

If you are using a Hotmail or Outlook email address, please change it now, as Microsoft is rejecting all email from our service outright.
Topic: After upgrading to v1.5, drag and drop no longer works (Read 568 times) previous topic - next topic

After upgrading to v1.5, drag and drop no longer works

Hello,

I just upgraded from v1.4.8 to v1.5 and I'm no longer able to drag and drop files into foobar2000 anymore.
I checked Preferences and cannot see anything related to drag and drop.
To me it seems like the playlist is locked.

I found that dragging and dropping files into a playlist quite useful when editing/updating.

If I wanted to roll back, how can I go about that?

Regards,
DaZD

Re: After upgrading to v1.5, drag and drop no longer works

Reply #1
I have downgraded to v1.4.8 just by running the installer.
I can now drag and drop to playlists like before.

Is this an unexpected feature in v1.5?

Reply #2
Dragging has not been broken in 1.5. Did you perhaps run the player as administrator? You can't drag and drop from user level program to elevated program. If you for example right clicked the installer and ran it manually as admin and the installer launched the player it would have been running with incorrect access level.

Reply #3
I understand what you are saying, however I only run foobar with standard privileges, same with the installer.
Dragging and dropping in 1.4.8 works with standard user level privileges, even after downgrading from 1.5.
I've been using foobar2000 since the pre-1.0 days, and I've never really tinkered with it much aside from layout, and upgrades have always gone without a hitch.

Reply #4
Where are you dragging from? The drag and drop system was switched to asynchronous mode in 1.5. Old method locked the source while foobar was processing the tracks, new method doesn't.

Reply #5
Either local disk or NAS.
When the mouse hovers over any part of foobar in an attempt to "drop" in 1.5 the cursor is a circle with a cross, happens regardless of source location.
It's like the entire foobar window is locked, like this method isn't allowed.

Just read the changelog again, and see the mention of asynchronous drag&drop;
  • "Implemented asynchronous drag&drop, for less stalls when dragging tracks from foobar2000 to another program."

It states for dragging OUT of foobar, no mention if it's bidirectional.
Was "drag" only catered for, not "drop"?

Reply #6
I was unclear. I meant the program you drag from. For example I drag from File Explorer, voidtool's Everything and Firefox without issues.

You do use the same config in your testing? Locked autoplaylists would also show the stop sign.

Have you tried a clean portable install in another location?

Reply #7
I use File Explorer when I drag and drop.

I've done a portable install of 1.5 and drag and drop works.
Looks like it may be time to start fresh?

Reply #8
Something is misconfigured to cause your system-wide install to run as administrator.

Reply #9
It could be worth checking if kode54's guess is correct. You can add "Evevated" column to Task Manager's Details view. If it shows "yes" for foobar2000.exe then it would be the culprit.
I'd use fresh start as the last resort. Perhaps the issue is caused by some component you use in which case finding the problem could benefit others.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021