Skip to main content
Topic: Help with Syntax - Last name irst name not working with an if clause (Read 152 times) previous topic - next topic

Help with Syntax - Last name irst name not working with an if clause

I came across on this forum a code which displays name as Last Name first name. This worked:
$right(%Composer%, $sub($len(%Composer%), $strrchr(%Composer%, " "))),
$left(%Composer%, $sub($strrchr(%Composer%, " "),1))

Using this, I am tying to display last name- first name of composer if the genre is Classical and first name-last name of Album artist for non-classical in a column on Facets UI. When I tried the above syntax in an if-then-else sattement, the syntax did not work for me.

(Just for  testing purposes I used  Album Name to be displayed if the genre is NOt Classical, just to spot any errors easily. I will later change this to %Album artist%)

When I used the the above code for if true part of the condition I received an "Invaid Syntax" error:
$if($stricmp(%Genre%,Classical),$right(%Composer%, $sub($len(%Composer%), $strrchr(%Composer%, " "))),

,%Album%)

Putting the above condition in parantheses also did not work.This gave me a blank if genre is Classical and the Album Name if non-classical.
$if($stricmp(%Genre%,Classical),($right(%Composer%, $sub($len(%Composer%), $strrchr(%Composer%, " "))),
)
,%Album%)

How can I fix this?

Re: Help with Syntax - Last name irst name not working with an if clause

Reply #1
You need to escape the comma between first name and last name with single quotation marks, so it is not taken as a delimiter to the parameters of $if(). That is how it works on Default UI. I am not familiar with Facets, and the double quote syntax. The comma needs to be quoted anyway.

Code: [Select]
$if($stricmp(%Genre%,Classical),$right(%Composer%,$sub($len(%Composer%),$strrchr(%Composer%,' ')))', '$left(%Composer%,$sub($strrchr(%Composer%,' '),1)),%Album%)

Re: Help with Syntax - Last name irst name not working with an if clause

Reply #2
Thank you very much. Worked like a charm. I kept wondering how the program could know which commas are a part of the if statement and which are not, so tried putting the code in paratheses, since then playing with paratheses, $puts/$gets etc... never thought of this single quotes. I could not have thought of this, for sure. Thanks.

Arun

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019