Skip to main content
Topic: A search code value for radio stream track metadata? (Read 330 times) previous topic - next topic

A search code value for radio stream track metadata?

When Foobar plays a stream sending track metadata, artist and title appear in the status bar (and playlist) in the normal way, changing dynamically as the track changes.  However attempting to use the usual %artist% and %title% in a web search expression on a current track with a tool like Run Services will fail, as it attempts to pull those values out of the station's fixed "tag" value in Foobar which of course does not match.  Is there a certain value that can be substituted in a case like this that will get artist and title values out of the dynamic metadata at the time?  Am used to doing those kind of searches with a couple of other players (MusicBee, and AIMP with its "Open With" plugin) and it would be great to be able to do them in Foobar as well.

Re: A search code value for radio stream track metadata?

Reply #1
You can try a quick dirty hacky component http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/temp/foo_dyndec.fb2k-component. It exposes the dynamically changing fields you need in %dartist% and %dtitle%. Probably best to use with some if function wrapping, something like $if2(%dtitle%,%title%).

Reply #2
Case, you're a miracle worker, THANKS for this!  Just the %dartist% and %dtitle% seem to work fine on their own by changing the nominal %artist% and %title% in the Run Services expression.  Furthermore, it doesn't effect the search working the same way on a PLAYING regular file instead of a stream.  If the file was not being played, one would probably need to use your example of $if2(%dtitle%,%title%) in the right fields for the variable code to work.

I listen to a lot of Internet radio, and when a song comes on I'm curious about, with foo_dyndec I NOW can use Run Services to perform a search on the playing track's artist, or artist + song, at various sites.  Surely, this will be useful to many other Foobar users as well?!  Just to get someone started, here's two Run Services entries that will search a playing radio stream's metadata at the Metal Archives website:

Metal Archives Artist (dyn)
Code: [Select]
https://www.metal-archives.com/search?searchString=$replace(%dartist%, ,+)&type=band_name

Metal Archives Artist + Title (dyn)
Code: [Select]
https://www.metal-archives.com/search/advanced/searching/songs?songTitle=$replace(%dtitle%, ,+)&bandName=$replace(%dartist%, ,+)&releaseTitle=&lyrics=&genre=#songs

Sir, this is the best plugin I've discovered in a long time!  Thanks again.

Reply #3
Case, sveakul, thank you very much!
for me this feature is also useful. That looks like - must have!

Reply #4
Thank you very much Case for this clean hacky component!  A long time I was looking for this feature for a radio stream sending track metadata with Run Services!   

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019