Skip to main content
Topic: foobar2000 v1.4.4 vs WMA Lossless (Read 520 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Foobar 1.4.4 Beta 1: ...

foobar2000 v1.4.4 vs WMA Lossless

foobar2000 now refuses to open 24-bit WMA lossless files on Windows 10 - which would otherwise decode incorrectly.

I don't think that this issue worth creating its own thread, so I'll post about it here:

it seems that the problem with WMA was sort of solved here: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,117275.msg969628.html#msg969628

Re: foobar2000 v1.4.4 vs WMA Lossless

Reply #1
I tried the known workarounds for WMA Lossless decoding, including Media Foundation decoding with parameters posted in the linked thread. I managed to get better results, as in no glitching in majority of files. However one WMA Lossless 24-bit file that I have still decodes with a loud glitch. The same file decodes fine using wmal2pcm.exe or foobar2000 running in Windows 7.

This case is particularly worrying - if I enabled Media Foundation workarounds, users could notice that there were issues with decoding long after converting and deleting the original files.

Therefore I made foobar2000 outright refuse to open WMA files with known problematic configurations.

Reply #2
The file Peter has is from me. Unfortunately it isn't an isolated case.

I had encoded my lossless library as WMA a couple of years ago and bitcompare found several tracks with sample mismatches. Once Peter shared the MF decoder I first confirmed that it produced bit-perfect results with the samples posted in the linked thread. Then tested it with the problem files I had logged and saw that bitcompare produced exact same sample mismatch results.

Reply #3
Here's a 20 second sample as FLAC and WMA that shows the problem.

Reply #4
Thread split to give the discussion a more meaningful/discoverable title.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020