Skip to main content
Topic: Rating - how to create two ratings question (Read 320 times) previous topic - next topic

Rating - how to create two ratings question

Currently under Foobar 1.42 I have the Rating script working which is a Sub Menu under Playback Statistics using the Star method. (I use this basic script:  $if(%rating%,$repeat(★,%rating%)$repeat(☆,$sub(5,%rating%)),o)

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to have two different ratings for tracks.  I find this useful as not all SACD's are the same and also the Likeability of the track.  Another words let's say the 24-192 sound of a song isn't that great and I'd like to rate this a 3 (or 3 stars) but the song itself is a personal favorite and I'd like to rate this 5 stars.  This would allow potential to Sort either the Rating system of the Sound Quality or the likeability of a track (such as 5 star faves) especially if friends or family are over and you wish to provide the ultimate demo.  Of course you can create custom playlists that fit that filter but I was seeking a two column approach (if possible).

Lastly, might anyone know of a way to not have this Playlist feature buried as a Sub Menu within Playback Statistics? (perhaps there's a component?) Alternatively if there's a way to create shortcut key strokes to tap the 5 key for a 5 star rating vs. getting into the nested menu for rating.  Thanks in advance

Re: Rating - how to create two ratings question

Reply #1
On your question of using key strokes for rating you can use foo_masstag. In masstagger you can set up a script to rate your songs then bind that script to a keyboard shortcut within foobar. I always use Ctrl numpad to rate a song. If you want to use two separate rating systems you can use foo_masstag as well. For example use ctrl numpad for primary rating and alt numpad for a secondary rating.

Reply #2
Hey there,

With Playback Statistics, you can already use keyboard shortcuts or toolbar buttons to apply a rating as 1-5 or +1/-1. The menu is already built-in to the component, and you can make shortcuts or buttons out of any menu command.

To make a second rating though you would want Masstagger anyway as jazzthieve said, and use it to make a custom tag in your files - say %quality% or the like. You can use 'Set Value' to set a 1-5, or 'Format Value From Other Fields' for a +1/-1, for example -

Code: [Select]
Field name: QUALITY
Formatting pattern: $if(%quality%,$min(5,$add(%quality%,1)),3)
Script name: Quality +1

Field name: QUALITY
Formatting pattern: $if(%quality%,$max(1,$sub(%quality%,1)),2)
Script name: Quality -1

In Masstagger type a name for each script and save. Then in Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts find the script under [context / playlist] > Tagging > Scripts. Or right-click toolbar buttons > Customize the same.

Then make another column for your playlist for %quality% like the one you have.

Cheers ;)

Reply #3
Thanks for the replies.

Yes I had believed this was true, that there were shortcut / keystrokes already built in as pointed out.  Sounding foolish though + still new to Foobar, where might one find how to "use keyboard shortcuts or toolbar buttons to apply a rating as 1-5 or +1/-1".   Where might the menu be (or is it a Context Menu) that's already built-in to the component?
where one can make shortcuts or buttons out of any menu command.  A link would suffice (or a quick example) as I've not been successful thus far.

I like the Masstag idea. Will surely give that a whirl.  Thanks again for the assistance

Reply #4
^ I hinted at it above but to be specific -

File menu > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts > Add New button > scroll to [context / playlist] > Playback Statistics > Rating > 5

(Same menu structure as when you right-click on a playlist track)

Place cursor in the key box and press the key combination you want, say - Ctrl-5 - click Apply.

(So when you press Ctrl-5 the currently selected track(s) get Rating set to 5 stars)

Repeat all the above for every key you want.

Cheers :)

Reply #5
Many thanks for your assistance on the Keyboard shortcuts anamorphic, that worked well. Cheers

Reply #6
Re:  Masstagger Question -
1)component installed
2)Assigned Shortcuts (here's 1 of 5 examples) for a 1 Star setting (as below)
Key=1, Modifiers=Alt, Global=no, Type=Context, Action=Tagging/ Quick Tagger /Set<Quality> to / value1

Under Playlist View I have added the Custom Column: Quality
with this pattern: $if(%quality%,$repeat(★,%quality%)$repeat(☆,$sub(5,%quality%)),o)

Here's the issue, is if a track (song) has not been touched, the default of 'o' appears correctly.  When I choose say Alt+1, I get a warning that asks: "you are about to update 1 track..blah blah blah" (I wish to suppress this warning)"
Secondly, the quality defaults to 5 empty stars vs. 1 solid stars so it looks like this:  ☆☆☆☆☆ instead of ★

Third (and last) Is there a way to color code these star characters other than B or W?
Thanks again for the assistance

Reply #7
Updated:
I have resolved 2 of the 3 issues above.  Suppressing the Warning prompt was found under Quick Tagging/Tagger - changed value to X tracks (say 10 instead of 1).
Also, This pattern worked fine:  $if(%quality%,$repeat(★,%quality%)$repeat(☆,$sub(5,%quality%)),o)
the issue was under Quick Tagging/Tagger - the values were listed incorrectly as: value1; value2; etc - simply changing the values to:  1; 2; 3; 4; 5 respectively solved the coding issue.  Currently the stars appear and work correctly.
Still working on the colorizing the characters but should be easy to figure out..thanks

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019