Skip to main content
Topic: Minimum aceptable bitrate for music@car (Read 579 times) previous topic - next topic

Minimum aceptable bitrate for music@car

Hi, new here, sorry about my bad english  :-[

I'm planing to recompress my whole mp3 collection (320kbps) to AAC to use it at my car. I need maximum compression due to space limitation of the playing device, so I'm asking about an aceptable compression level for car listening. Cheap music equipment, I'm not audiophile at all.

I'm planning HE-AAC@96Kbps, it could be OK?

Another question: What is the best way to do the transcoding of my collection at once (arround 60GB of MP3)? I can do it on Windows or Linux.

Re: Minimum aceptable bitrate for music@car

Reply #1
Should be fine, but convert a subset of your library first and live with it for a few weeks. Be sure to include all genres you typically play.

Reply #2
HE-AAC is designed for very low bitrates and has fundamental limitations that can't be solved by throwing more bits at it. According to what I've read and also personal listening tests it's not very practical beyond 64-80 kbps compared to other codecs. If 96 kbps is an acceptable bitrate to meet your storage requirements then you might have better luck with regular AAC. (or better yet Vorbis or Opus if your playback device is capable)

Reply #3
If 96 kbps is an acceptable bitrate to meet your storage requirements then you might have better luck with regular AAC. (or better yet Vorbis or Opus if your playback device is capable)

My device is an old Android Phone, so all format capable I think.
So for 96kbps. which codec is better? I think AAC was the best..

Reply #4
I just suggest  you to convert to OGG Q7 - its 192 K VBR. Filesize less than mp3 in same bitrate. Still is good quality.

Reply #5
As mentioned already. At 96kbps you should not use HE-AAC, but LC-AAC.

The itunes sounds good at 96kbps LC-AAC. It will be lacking some frequencies from ~14khz and up. So if you can or want to hear higher frequencies you might wanna go for a higher bitrate like 128kbps or even higher.

Reply #6
So for 96kbps. which codec is better? I think AAC was the best..

You could use Opus then. It's pretty much the best lossy codec in existence right now. If you're using a music player app that doesn't suck everything should be good to go but otherwise you might have to rename the opus files to have a .ogg extension for them to be recognized.

Reply #7
At 96kbps you should not use HE-AAC, but LC-AAC.
fdkaac. he <=128kbps, he2 <=64.

You could use Opus then.
for OLD device ogg better. easy for decompression = longer battery life.
    but in general...
recompress [...] mp3 [...]to AAC. there's a special place in hell for people doing this. amen!

Reply #8
fdkaac. he <=128kbps, he2 <=64.
Don't know about fdkaac, but FhG AAC from Winamp uses HE-AACv2 for bitrates <= 40 kbps, and HE-AAC for bitrates <= 80 kbps.
Apple AAC also uses HE-AAC for bitrates up to 80 kbps.

Reply #9
Sorry I missed the HE/LC thing.  For the car, I typically convert to AAC (Nero or Apple) or MP3 (LAME) in the 128-160 kbps range.  It sounds fine.  I also apply permanent ReplayGain ("Album Gain" w/ limiter) so that my volume levels don't jump around too much.  My car player doesn't support RG tags.  If my car player could handle OGG, I'd probably use that as I've had good experience with it in the past.  (Rio Karma, good times!)

Reply #10
For a car, you don't have to really care all that much. All the ambient noise will mask such a huge part of the music spectrum that any quality discusion is pretty moot, so as long as you don't go down to "old telephone line" bitrates you will be fine.

Reply #11
For a car, you don't have to really care all that much. All the ambient noise will mask such a huge part of the music spectrum that any quality discusion is pretty moot, so as long as you don't go down to "old telephone line" bitrates you will be fine.

Exactly, the noise floor in a car is absolutely horrendous, unless you're driving an S-class Mercedes or a Rolls-Royce or something. And even then, road noise just cannot be completely eliminated.

In my perfectly ordinary cars, I used LAME -V5 (~130kbps) and that was perfectly fine, I never noticed any artifacts. An Opus or AAC reencode at 96-128ish kbps should present no issues, sound quality wise.

Reply #12
[...] "old telephone line" bitrates you will be fine.
yes, if you want to give "sht" in your ears.
simple ariphmetic:
-1 ("old telephone line" bitrates) + (-1 (ambient noise)) = -2 (cow dollop in ears).
0 (mid bitrates, ~162) + (-1 (ambient noise)) = -1 (garbage, trash sound)
1 (high bitrates, >=256) + (-1 (ambient noise)) = 0 (poor music)

In my perfectly ordinary cars, I used LAME -V5 (~130kbps) and that was perfectly fine, I never noticed any artifacts
king of abx...

Reply #13
simple ariphmetic:
-1 ("old telephone line" bitrates) + (-1 (ambient noise)) = -2 (cow dollop in ears).
0 (mid bitrates, ~162) + (-1 (ambient noise)) = -1 (garbage, trash sound)
1 (high bitrates, >=256) + (-1 (ambient noise)) = 0 (poor music)
It makes absolutely no sense.

Reply #14
no more then like reencode lossy to another lossy

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019