Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Too few metadata editing options on EAC & mp3tag (Read 2411 times) previous topic - next topic

Too few metadata editing options on EAC & mp3tag

As someone who uses a lot of custom tags and classical specific tags. I'm quite disappointed in the lack of customization options in EAC. I always find myself having to go to mp3tag to finish the job. But there I face other issues.

For instance: The lack of bulk metadata editing options. As soon as you have multiple values nothing shows in the field. 

Not being able to automatically remove all text between (brackets).
This is particularly annoying as many track titles in classical music tend to include the composer in brackets at the end.
For instance: The musical offering - Overture (J.S.Bach)

And not being able to change the description of all of the embedded pictures (unless they're all the same) without removing all the pictures and reapplying them with the correct values. For instance changing all embedded front covers to back covers.

To give you an idea what I'm talking about, there is a program called "Bulk Rename Utility" and it has many advanced features, such as removing parts of text, specific words, specific characters etc. I use it very often and it's a very powerful tool. However it only does filenames.

So my question is: Is there any ripping software or bulk metadata editing software which supports more custom metadata options. So basically the metadata equivalent of "bulk rename utility. 
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Re: Too few metadata editing options on EAC & mp3tag

Reply #1
My personal advice is to use a ripper which uses MusicBrainz instead of FreeDB. MB has a style guide for classical music. But I also haven't found the "perfect" Tagging application. You could try a CLI tagger and integrate it in a script or something but I guess that would be very complex to do.

Reply #2
You need to become familiar with Mp3tag "Actions". Visit their forum for help.

Reply #3
I used mp3tag for a long time, but I eventually switched to TagScanner. I just find the UI in general to be better, although I can't promise that it will do what you ask, since I've only used it for simple tasks.

Reply #4
As Apesbrain already pointed out above, you're probably looking for the Actions feature in Mp3tag [Alt+6] or Quick Actions if you want to apply them only once [Alt+Shift+6].

To remove all text between (brackets) in the COMPOSER field, you can use an action "Guess values", where the source format would be
%composer% and the guessing pattern
%composer% (%dummy%)

See FAQ: Actions and batch operations and Mp3tag Help: Actions for more details (including bulk rename, replace and such).

For your other issue regarding album-art description, you can simply select the files in question and choose to set the cover type or cover description via the right-click context menu of the cover window on the Tag Panel (see the attached image).

I also invite you over to the Mp3tag Forums in case you have any further questions or suggestions for improvement.

Reply #5
You need to become familiar with Mp3tag "Actions". Visit their forum for help.
As Apesbrain already pointed out above, you're probably looking for the Actions feature in Mp3tag [Alt+6] or Quick Actions if you want to apply them only once [Alt+Shift+6].
You both are probably right. I found the "Actions" panel but didn't realize the full options of this feature. It also doesn't help that I'm a habitual procrastinator and have trouble getting around to these things.
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Reply #6
I used mp3tag for a long time, but I eventually switched to TagScanner.
Thank you for the recommendation! I installed tagscanner and it looks quite advanced and full of options.
I haven't found out how to add custom Metadata tags yet, but I have installed the manual PDF and will look through that tonight.
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....