Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to extract the Audio from Any Video File (Read 5487 times) previous topic - next topic

How to extract the Audio from Any Video File

I have a concert that i'd like to listen to as audio on my phone, so what is the best way in doing that? I would also like it in separate tracks if possible.
Thanks

Re: How to extract the Audio from Any Video File

Reply #1
You can use MKVToolNix to extract the audio into a Matroska file (.mka).

https://mkvtoolnix.download/

If there are chapters in the video file, MKVToolNix can split Before chapters, as the option is called.
Rhythmbox, Flac + Vorbis, Sennheiser HD650 + Sony MDR-XB1000

Reply #3
If you have ffmpeg, just doing ffmpeg -i myfile.mp4 -map 0:a:0 -c:a copy out.m4a works all the time. Just adjust the output extension for the format you're extracting.

Reply #4
XMedia Recode can do this very nicely, it is for free

Reply #5
Audacity, with the optional FFmpeg plug-in, can open/extract the audio from most audio/video file formats. 

TAudiConverter  may be able to do it.   If TAudioConverter works with your file format, it's easy to use.  Just set-up the output-format & output-location, drag-in the file(s) and click.

Almost any video editor can do it.

I would also like it in separate tracks if possible.
A separate file for each song?  Audacity or any audio editor can do that.

Reply #6
It's an .mkv file and it doesn't have chapters. Do you all know of any good tutorials for Audacity?

Reply #7
For MKV files I use Inviska MKV Extract (free download, google it) as it is quick and efficient.  After that you can use Foobar to convert and downmix to whatever you like, although you may need to install some plug-ins, as Inviska will just demux whatever is in the MKV.  Also, there is an issue with the file name suffix for TrueHD files that I don't remember the details of--it was a simple fix.

Reply #8
It's an .mkv file and it doesn't have chapters. Do you all know of any good tutorials for Audacity?
Here are the instructions for installing FFmpeg for Audacity.   

Then with FFmpeg installed, you simply open the file in Audacity. 

If you want to make MP3s there are similar instructions for installing the LAME MP3 encoder (Audacity can open MP3s "out of the box", but you need LAME to make MP3s.)  

For making separate song-files I just select/highlight the song(s) and then file -> Export -> Export Selected Audio, one at a time.  I find it easier to select a little extra at the beginning & end of the song, then re-import and trim later.

There is also a way of doing it all in one-shot by labeling the songs.

Of course, Audacity has a forum, plus it comes with a (digital) user manual.

Reply #9
ffmpeg is surprisingly easy to use at the cmd line. Although there are some great tools already mentioned.

I have also used, and still do occasionally, a very simple and fast tool called LosslessCut; probably the most straight forward GUI app/tool for cutting and extracting video & audio I've used. Totally free and cross-platform to.

Reply #10
Foobar even supports some video containers (like mkv) directly. It even has chapter support. If the video has chapters, each chapter will show as a seperate song.

Reply #11
I use Movavi Video Converter but Foobar 2000, VLC and Audacity works well too. 

Reply #12
I was googling and happen to find the most simplistic program I have tried, it worked perfect and automatically renamed the tracks to the correct names (I had to rename it a tad...example below) and I converted the mkv audio to both FLAC and MP3 and it sounds amazing!

It renames it to >>> MP3 - Metallica.Francais.Pour.Une.Nuit.2009.720p.BluRay - 02 - Blackened - 2019-02-02_00;31;48.601
So all I had to do is just leave this>>> 02 - Blackened
Pazera Free Audio Extractor 2.9
http://www.pazera-software.com/products/audio-extractor/

I appreciate all the replies, but the other programs were a bit complicated compared to Pazera.

Reply #13
I have also used, and still do occasionally, a very simple and fast tool called LosslessCut; probably the most straight forward GUI app/tool for cutting and extracting video & audio I've used. Totally free and cross-platform to.

Thank you for referring to this program, which I did not know until now.