Skip to main content
Topic: How important is the pipe in a subwoofer? (Read 196 times) previous topic - next topic

How important is the pipe in a subwoofer?

The cardboard pipe in my subwoofer fell (it's inside the box). Should I open it and put it in it's right place? How important to the sound is the pipe?

Re: How important is the pipe in a subwoofer?

Reply #1
That's called a tuned port, and is important to control the flatness of bass response.

Reply #2
If you run a speaker design program like WinISD you can see how the port size & shape, as well as box size, affect frequency response.   

For a given driver & box size there is an optimum port size/shape that extends low-frequency response without making the speaker "boomy" and without making big dips & bumps in the bass response.      (You probably don't know the Thiele/Small parameters for you woofer and without that you won't get any useful information from WinISD.)

Not all speakers/woofers/subwoofers are designed for smooth-accurate bass, but a monitor subwoofer should be.    Some are designed for "maximum boomy bass" without regard to accuracy...   You've probably heard car stereos with boring-boomy one-note bass.

Reply #3
Should I open it and put it in it's right place?

Yes, the remaining "hole" will raise the tuning frequency. along with the low frequency response.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019