Skip to main content
Topic: FLAC to MP3 Conversion - Missing Year (Read 244 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC to MP3 Conversion - Missing Year

Hi All,

I have archived my CD library to FLAC recently and now want to use foobar2000 to convert it to V0 MP3 files.  Everything works great except the year is missing from my metadata on the final MP3 file.  ??  I see how to add it to the metadata display but it doesn't transport through to the converted file.  What am I doing wrong?

FLAC File:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dngz9eai4ng64j4/FLAC.PNG?dl=0

MP3 File:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t65qa8mejnhfk48/MP3.PNG?dl=0

The image isn't coming with it either.  The files are existing in the same folder.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Regards,
Ross

Re: FLAC to MP3 Conversion - Missing Year

Reply #1
Have you checked options to transfer tags to converted file(s) in converter settings?

foobar2000 plays music

Reply #2
Thanks for the response.

Here is what I have...

It looks like it should work based on this screen.  Everything else is working except YEAR.

??

Ross

Reply #3
Create some sample FLAC and MP3 files and upload them somewhere.

Reply #5
Your FLAC file has a non-standard tag YEAR. The standard tag name for this information is DATE.
So foobar2000 doesn't write this information to a standard tag (TYER) in the resulting MP3 file.

Reply #6
Hmm, weird.  I used WMP to rip them.  Can I edit the mapping somehow?  I used another conversion tool to convert and it transferred Year but the process wasn't nearly as efficient as foobar and I want to stick with foobar.

Alternatively, is there a bulk way to transport the Year to the Date tag on all of my FLAC files?

Thanks so much,
Ross

Reply #7
Step-by-step:
1) Put your FLAC files that have YEAR tag into foobar2000 playlist (*)
2) Select them all (press Ctrl+A)
3) Right click - Properties
4) Right click on YEAR tag, Copy
5) Right click on DATE tag, Paste
6) Now delete YEAR tag, if you want.
7) Press OK.

(*) If you have FLAC files with both YEAR and DATE tags: put them all into playlist, press Ctrl+F and type YEAR PRESENT in the search field. foobar2000 will show you the list of files that contain YEAR tag. Then right click - Properties, etc.

Reply #8
That worked perfectly!  Thanks so much!

Is there anything special I need to do to move the album image with it during the conversion or does that not transfer through this process?  The image is in the source folder but when I click on the FLAC file I see the image in windows explorer but it doesn't display when I click on the converted MP3 file. 

Regards,
Ross

Reply #9
I figured it out with the batch attach function.

Thanks for all of your help!

Ross

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019