Skip to main content
Topic: best mp3 encoder with something better than a command line interface? (Read 850 times) previous topic - next topic

best mp3 encoder with something better than a command line interface?

If I understand, different mp3 encoders sound different.
Daniel L Newhouse

Re: best mp3 encoder with something better than a command line interface?

Reply #1
Command line encoders like lame are really just interfaces to the library libmp3lame.

Many graphical encoders (which I assume you mean by the term "better"), either use the command line program by calling that underneath, or using whatever encoding library directly.

Things like foobar either use libraries or call encoders, too.

Your question doesn't really make sense, but given what I've explained, and that LAME is kinda the best encoder over all (including availability, etc.), I'd suggest get a GUI for LAME. I.e. one that either calls the command line program (and there's tons of those, as this is often a programming exercise for novice programmers), or simply uses libmp3lame internally (this is by far the standard).

I believe the "best" MP3 encoder in terms of perceived audio quality, is fastenc from FhG, but I might be wrong, I haven't looked at any ABX test for quite some time. Just get a GUI calling fastenc for you, if that's what you're after.

Reply #2
If I understand, different mp3 encoders sound different.

You don't need to worry over that. Use LAME or any media player that (cf. polemon's reply) that uses LAME to encode. E.g., as mentioned, foobar2000.

IMHO, tweaking MP3 options and the like isn't really worth it. If MP3 isn't good enough at a certain bitrate - for example if I wished to cram as much as possible into my cellphone at "acceptable in-car quality" - then rather than asking how to get the best out of MP3, I would ask whether I could use a different codec. I can play Opus.
Heck, given that MP3 cannot even go below 32 kbit/s, I am kinda shocked at how good Opus at 31 kbit/s is.

Reply #3
Yep. LAME is the clear winner for MP3. Forget everything else. :D

As long as an up-to-date version of LAME is used, it doesn't really matter what tool you use for the conversion. Will result in same quality.

A barebone tool for MP3-encoding from files is RazorLame.

If you encode from a CD, use ExactAudioCopy, which turns a CD straight into a bunch of MP3's (using LAME).

Audacity uses MP3 export too.

In many cases, you have to download LAME separately to enable the MP3 encoding functionality.
- I abandoned this account since I didn't find a way to delete it -

Reply #4
If you encode from a CD, use ExactAudioCopy, which turns a CD straight into a bunch of MP3's (using LAME).

Don't. Rip to lossless and keep the rip. Encode you can always do later.

Reply #5
He asked for Software with GUI that encodes high-quality MP3's using the best encoder, not FLAC. :P

If he has a few CD's, it is OK to rip directly to MP3 (re-rip wouldn't be that time-consuming).
But yes, a big archive with 1000's of CD's should be archived losslessly. :)
- I abandoned this account since I didn't find a way to delete it -

Reply #6

In many cases, you have to download LAME separately to enable the MP3 encoding functionality.

That should be a thing of the past though, since MP3 patents have run out.  They should all be able to bundle the LAME encoder now, no?

Reply #7
Didn't Winamp Pro have the Fraunhoffer IIS encoder?  The best?
Daniel L Newhouse

Reply #8
IIRC it has Fraunhofer AAC encoder and LAME MP3 encoder.

Reply #9
best mp3 encoder with something better than a command line interface?

Foobar2000 with the Foobar2000 'Encoders Pack'. you can't really go wrong with that as, while I don't know for sure, I would imagine Foobar2000 is one of the more popular general audio playback/conversion programs on Windows based PC's in general as it's simple and effective.

that gives you the newest LAME encoder which seems to be the standard for encoding MP3 files. just add your lossless files into the active window (a simple drag and drop from Windows Explorer into the Foobar2000 window will work) and then select them (left click a file, hold CTRL (or shift to select a bunch), click what you want to select what you want to convert) and then right click and select 'Convert' and the rest I don't expect you to have much trouble figuring out. but one may want to tweak the 'destination' info a bit (which you will see once you enter the "Convert > ..." section) as I usually have mine appear like "01. Track Name Here" and then put those into a folder in relation to the album title (for example, "Artist Name - Album Title (2010)" (with "(2010)" being the year of release of that particular album)) etc.

Foobar2000 is my general 'go to' program for converting FLAC to MP3/AAC/Opus etc. but as far as getting your FLAC files from say a original audio CD in the first place, I would probably suggest using EAC (Exact Audio Copy). although you can use Foobar2000 but EAC is safer for ripping CD's.

p.s. if possible, I would suggest keeping a copy of your music CD's in FLAC format as this way in the future when converting to another lossy format (i.e. MP3/AAC/Opus etc) it will be nice and simple as a typical album would convert in no more than about 1 minute on most CPU's still in use. so unless you got a boatload of music to convert, it takes a minimal amount of ones time.

NOTE: as a general guideline for MP3... you want to use a minimum of LAME v5 (130kbps) and to be safe try LAME v2 (190kbps). but like I always say, unless you must use MP3, it's best to use either AAC or Opus at this point in time since they give you better quality at lower bit rates as if your using high bit rates, say around 190kbps (or more), it does not really matter what lossy format your using. but at the lower ranges, say around 128kbps and less, it's best to stick to AAC if you need wide compatibility or Opus if your going for maximum sound quality at the low bit rates and are not too concerned with having wide support.
For music (especially on-the-go)...
-I suggest Opus @ 96kbps (or... 64kbps minimum, 128kbps maximum). *preferred choice*
-I suggest AAC(Apple) @ 96kbps (q45 TVBR) or 128kbps (q64 TVBR). *secondary choice*
-I use Foobar2000 (/w Encoders Pack etc) to convert FLAC to Opus/AAC(Apple).

Reply #10
I know this tread is aging, but LameXP is an option.
In the beginning there was ONLY noise, then came the signal.

Reply #11
how has no one mentioned dbpoweramp? i've been using it to create mp3's for the past 20+ years

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2018