Skip to main content
Topic: iPod manager (Read 1653821 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: iPod manager

Reply #4125
So... the embedded covers in all the files on the iPod are completely superfluous and can be removed to free up quite a lot of space?
Yes (but if you modify the files on the iPod directly rather than the originals, and then use the Sync command, it may resync the files).

(A bit out of topic I admit, but what's your take on this: instead of going through the process of removing the embedded artwork from the files on the iPod, should I just go ahead and do a full factory reset and readd my music? Just wondering if such removal of embedded covers would introduce quite a bit of fragmentation to files added after that process, with the embedded art now being gone.)
iTunes and this component take certain measures to avoid specific cases of both FAT32 and fragmentation performance problems, so it is a valid concern in general. However, I'm not sure fragmented music files would cause huge problems in itself. Typically, you'll see problems if e.g. opening a file in a large directory takes a long time, or finding an artwork image in the database takes a long time. Nonetheless, if free space gets fragmented, it could cause other things to become fragmented over time. (That's my take from the top of my head and not being able to remember the last time I defragmented a hard drive...)

P.s. So with foo_dop handling the transfer, resizing and iPod database operations for the artwork, I understand there is no way to change the artwork manually, and the process always works from what art there is on the album in Foobar's media library?
Yes, that's roughly right.

Also, Foobar doesn't seem to display the artwork as on the iPod itself in its album art panel, instead only showing embedde or in-folder art. I presume this is totally normal?
That's correct, it doesn't know anything about the images in the iPod's database and the component doesn't tell it anything about them either. I think there is a debugging tool hidden in the source code for viewing the images, but it was pretty basic and I don't think it was included in any public release.

Reply #4126
Alright, thanks! :)

That potential fragmentation of free space that you mentioned was what I had in mind: have music with embedded artwork - used space is nice and non-fragmented -> remove said embedded artwork -> lots of small pockets of free space, over which newly transferred files would be spread out.

I ended up deciding on a clean factory reset and readding my music to get it all nice and neatly in there. It wasn't that big of a chore after all, and as a bonus I got to go over my music library and leave out stuff I knew I wouldn't be listening to that much on the iPod, so I ended up with more free space than just removing the unnecesary artwork would have release. Win-win.  8)

Reply #4127
Hey Guys,  New to Foobar-ipod manager,  Trying to get it set up to load a ipod and getting the "Failed to load DLL: foo_dop.dll
Reason: This component is missing a required dependency, or was made for different version of foobar2000."  Only fix i found was the "https://f.losno.co/vgmstream-win32-deps.zip""  back on a 2016 post and the "Visual C++ 2015" both which seem really old issues.               Tried doing some searches on here but couldn't find anything new or different.  any help would be much appreciated. 

Reply #4128
vgmstream-win32-deps has no bearing on foo_dop, or any other component. In fact, my foobar2000 distribution of VGMStream does not require it, as it bundles its own dependencies.

Reply #4129
@bsimpson Which version did you install, how did you install it and what version of Windows are you using?

Reply #4130
I have a question regarding how foo_dop determines gapless playback. Sometimes, depending on the number of files being copied, this process can take several minutes. However, there are other times when the process takes virtually no time at all. I’m wondering is this normal?

Reply #4131
Probably. Exactly what it does depends on the file format and the encoder used.

For MP4, it will look in the file header for gapless data.
For MP3, if foobar2000 has detected gapless info, it will end up reading most of the file. If foobar2000 did not detect gapless info, it will skip reading the file (unless you have the dummy info option enabled).

Reply #4132
@musicmusic I am going to install Foobar with this plug-in on a new PC. When I do my first sync with my iPod, will the plug-in detect that nothing has changed [as far as the MP3s are concerned]? Or, will it replace everything on the iPod with everything in my music folder [which will probably take a long time]?  I am just curious.

Reply #4133
If the files weren't transcoded by the component, and they haven't been modified, I wouldn't expect it to want to recopy them.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019