Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: To Peter: The RAM-Disk Component Needs Updating (Read 4234 times) previous topic - next topic

To Peter: The RAM-Disk Component Needs Updating

Hello,

First of all, I hope it's OK that I'm contacting you like this.
I think that the RAM-Disk component needs to be fixed. The problem is, that once the RAM-Disk is full, sending new files to it via the Send option no longer works - it gives me the same error as if I was adding (appending) files to it. As far as I understand, this is not desired behavior, as using the send option should erase the RAM-Disk content first and than add the selected files.
Thus, in cases like this, there seems to be no way of clearing the RAM-Disk other than restarting foobar. I'm running the latest foobar beta.
Hope it's not hard to fix.

Thank you and all the best!

Re: To Peter: The RAM-Disk Component Needs Updating

Reply #1
Thus, in cases like this, there seems to be no way of clearing the RAM-Disk other than restarting foobar.

try the following: menu View -> RAM-Disk content. Then in the ramdisk window: File -> Remove all.

Reply #2
Thank you so much, that worked beautifully. Somehow it didn't occur to me that I could look inside the File menu for more options. :-)
I still think that there might be a bug in the component. Sending files to the RAM-Disk via the 'Send to RAM-Disk' option should always make sure to remove the previous content before the new files get inserted. That's exactly how it seems to work, if the RAM-Disk is not full, but if it is, all one gets is an error message. I think it should always do the same thing, regardless whether the RAM-Disk is full or not. On the other hand, this is not such a big issue and so if it stays the way it is now, I can live with it. :-)

Reply #4
Maybe this component uses all available RAM, and foobar2000 needs more RAM for some internal bookkeeping, but cannot allocate it?

Reply #5
I've always been curious about the reasons people would want to use a RAM disk with fb2k.

Well, I personally use it when converting my archived albums in single file + CUE format to MP3 for portable use - sometimes I want to have my lossy versions tagged a bit differently. Thanks to RAM-Disk I can create an intermediate copy if I want to re-tag something without touching the original and without leaving Foobar.

Reply #6
I've always been curious about the reasons people would want to use a RAM disk with fb2k.

I use it to allow my spinning drive to sleep while I play back hours worth of music.

Reply #7
I use it to check out various possible masstagger scripts, before applying them to the "real" files on hard disc.

Reply #8

I use it to allow my spinning drive to sleep while I play back hours worth of music.

Ah. For instance, all my spinning drives are in a server machine, and configured to never stop spinning while it's powered on.

Reply #9
Hello, please update foo_ramdisk.fb2k-component for foobar2000 v2.1 64-bit support.

Reply #10
Hello, please update foo_ramdisk.fb2k-component for foobar2000 v2.1 64-bit support.

Seconded!

Thank you

Reply #11

Put your music on SSD and you won't have disc spinning issues when playing music.
Something like the "Crucial MX500 4TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD" costs around $200.
If you need it portal the "Crucial X6 4TB Portable SSD" is even cheaper and it's USB 3.2

edit: corrected improper quote

Reply #12
Something like the "Crucial MX500 4TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD" costs around $200.

Great. If I want to store my current music collection, that's only $1000. As long as I don't want to have a backup (on SSD) as well.

Reply #13
You do realize this is a meme component?

Reply #14

Great. If I want to store my current music collection, that's only $1000. As long as I don't want to have a backup (on SSD) as well.

How many files you have to need 20TB of disk?
I got a total of 46464 files which 8578 are DSD files and 37886 are FLAC and this takes me 2.847TB (3,130,390,975,972 bytes) out of my 4TB SSD including Lyrics, JPG and Artist information taken from AllMusic, LastFM and Wikipedia all saved on the same drive.
I don't backup on SSD as I have a NAS for that and a second external (not SSD) drive so I have 2 backups.