Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Skip Silence... adds silence? (Read 1913 times) previous topic - next topic

Skip Silence... adds silence?

Hi,

I always thought that there was something wrong with "Skip Silence". I did test it now as following: 16 bit FLAC to 16 bit FLAC only with Skip Silence as DSP in the 1.4 beta 15 (I used 16. Dark Matter by David García from Deadlight because it has a lot of silence). I set 500 ms and 84 dB as settings and removed the "Leave the initial period intact" cross, I compared the result to "Skip Silence (alternate)" under the same conditions.

The first one is the original, the second one with "Skip Silence", the third with "Skip Silence (alternate)". Both seem to let silence remain, one more than the other.

The end is the important part though, I manually removed all silence from the beginning to sync them up. Now we can clearly see that there is something wrong with Skip Silence because it adds silence where there is none in the original (the alternate version works correctly).

It would be nice to get that fixed because this has probably been around quite a while. Also, this DSP won't work at all with values below 300 ms (just as a side note).

Re: Skip Silence... adds silence?

Reply #1
Thanks for the bug report.

Indeed this looks bad and these bugs must be old. I'll make sure that both v1.4 and upcoming v1.3.18 get the fixes.

I easily confirmed DSP not working with too short intervals, has to do with internal chunk sizes.

However I don't seem to be able to recreate the trailing silence insertion bug. Can you please send me the track you triggered it on? It does not seem to happen with my silence test tracks at least, or I'm doing something wrong.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #2
Hmn, for me it happens no matter what I do. I just retested with 48kHz and 44kHz files on 60 dB, there is now also a small artifact visible.

Btw, not cutting off all the silence at the beginning is intentional?

Reply #3
Its can be good for you.
I test it on F2k 1.3.17 on generic skip silence plugin.
F2K Output - Direct Stream on Primary Sound Driver.
There is no silence gaps. Not at a the start and finish of  the track.

Reply #4
@Peter
Thanks, the new version works perfectly!