Skip to main content
Topic: File operations are not sorted and it is impossible (Read 244 times) previous topic - next topic

File operations are not sorted and it is impossible

I've reported this many years ago, but nothing changed regarding this. File operations (Move, Copy, Rename) in context menu are not sorted by name and are not possible to be changed in order. So if you need to add some new location to a common group then it will be added to the bottom of list.

In my opinion there should be special options pages for conversions and file operations to make possibility to add hierarchical menus there. But at least the list of operations should be sorted alphabetically.
Listen to WMRI...

Re: File operations are not sorted and it is impossible

Reply #1
I can see how use of the File Operations component can be annoying if you have a lot of presets.
Steps are being taken to mitigate this:

• Structured menus have been added, use | character in a preset name to create a preset nested in a group: groupname|presetname
If you have a better idea what to use for a delimiter here, speak now or remain silent forever

• The preset list is now stored in a text file that you can freely edit or back up, instead of a binary .cfg format.
Old preset list will be transferred on first run

These changes will be introduced in the next beta.

[edit clarified]

Reply #2
I can see how use of the File Operations component can be annoying if you have a lot of presets.
Steps are being taken to mitigate this:

• Structured menus have been added, use | character in a preset name to create a preset nested in a group: groupname|presetname
If you have a better idea what to use for a delimiter here, speak now or remain silent forever

Good idea!

Reply #3
Thanks for operative support, Peter. I will test this as soon as you make it available.

There was also an idea for conversion menu to optimize the amount of different variations of presets to a minimum. You can separate destination options from conversion options into two parts:
1. everything about format and processing (output format, processing, other pages)
2. everything regarding path of conversion and form-factor (destination page)

Then you will have two preset columns - for format and for destination. So you can select hierarchically:

Convert   >   FLAC   >   tracks to temp
                     TAK           image+cue
                     MP3          image to... (open dialog)
Listen to WMRI...

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2018