Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Windows 10 1803 - Sound distortions (Read 8475 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Windows 10 1803 - Sound distortions

Reply #25
Beta 21 out, pause is now handled properly.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #26
Like some people, I had this problem, solved by Case's ImproveTimerRes.exe. FWIW, I don't have a special card, it's a Realtek chip from motherboard, I use Optical SPDIF.
I was wondering if those who have this problem (and don't use 1.4 beta obviously or a timer resolution tool) could try InSpectre and disable protection (you have to reboot): https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm
It looks like with Meltdown protection disabled, I don't have this problem. But I can't tell for sure, because the distorsion/sound issue is not systematic.

Reply #27
I doubt those spectre / meltdown mitigations change anything regarding this matter. At least the timer resolution varies on its own even when they are disabled.

PS. foobar2000 v1.4 is released so everyone who fears beta can now update.

Reply #28
I'm just trying to find another way. As I understand, it seems a bit extreme to force a timer resolution at 1 ms just to listen to music. If MS were to fix this problem, maybe there should be a hidden setting to disable this timer resolution value.

Reply #29
Beta 21 out, pause is now handled properly.

Almost. Today I had a track paused for a longer time, my two displays went off, I came back, resumed the playback and the sound was distorted. I wasn't able to reproduce it with a simple pause/play again.

Reply #31

The final version is out - could you test with that one?

Sorry, I am using the final version (1.4).

Reply #32
I just want to report that with Windows 10 1809 this issue seems to be addressed by Microsoft. I tested the playback with the old foobar2000 v1.3.17 and it seems fine at a first glance.

Current driver details: https://imgur.com/a/nakPGUU

New MS Driver? My Creative Audio Panel is still there and seems to work. I will do a clean Windows 10 installation in the coming days; if I get another result, I will write again.