Skip to main content
Topic: Where to download FDK AAC for foobar2k/windows? (Read 21882 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Where to download FDK AAC for foobar2k/windows?

Reply #50
I think the speed of the binaries reflects the compiler used and the options which are used regarding instruction sets, possibly SSE/SSE2 (not sure if MMX is going to affect FDKAAC code).

Interesting... I admit that I am more used to compiling under Linux than cross compiling for Windows but I sense a challenge here so I will dig a little deeper and see if I can optimise the compile (I did not set any extra flags with my current fdkaac binaries) and produce a faster binary. Where did the values such as: '10.945x' come from?

Reply #51
Well, I have spotted the  '10.945x' numbers in the fdkaac output and I presume that this is where the testing output numbers have come from. I have updated the cross compiled binaries having made a few small compiling changes:

• Unbeknownst to me MXE was using an ancient version of gcc so I have set it to a more acceptable 9.3.0 and rebuilt all MXE packages. I note that MXE runs fdk-aac 2.0.0 rather than 2.0.1 but I doubt that is making much of a difference...
  • I have taken an uneducated punt and added in standard (Slackware) compiler flags to the 32bit: CFLAGS="-O3 -march=i686 -mtune=i686" and to the 64bit: CFLAGS="-O3 -fPIC". Mind you Slackware is a little conservative than this and will usually use 02...

Small changes but on my testing I have gained a little speed but absolutely nothing like that seen in the other 2 compiled binaries. So I am either bumping up against a limit of cross compiling or more likely a limitation in my knowledge of cross compiling :).

I have replaced the two online packages here  if anybody is interested in retesting...

Reply #52
@andrew.46 After re-running the tests I have the same encoding speeds as the previous version, as far as the 32-bit binary.

FYI, my script calculates encoding speeds by:
(number_of_samples / sampling_rate) / encode_time.

This way I can get figures many places past the decimal point. This comes in handy when benching xHE which needs 22khz or 32khz files.

edit: I was supposed to mention all tests were run on 16-bit 44khz stereo files.
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"

Reply #53
@andrew.46 After re-running the tests I have the same encoding speeds as the previous version, as far as the 32-bit binary.

Thanks for having another look, I will leave things as they are then as I cannot improve from a cross compiling point of view. Interesting to see if you have tested fdkaacenc on a native Linux platform, a quick look on my Slackware system seems to suggest that encoding may be considerably faster than has been demonstrated here?

Reply #55
I haven't checked it in detail, but I believe the library versions to be the same. I think the 1.0.0 designation relates to the Windows wrapped version.
John
----------------------------------------------------------------
My compiles and utilities are at http://www.rarewares.org/

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020