Skip to main content
Topic: Computer -> [toslink ->] coax S/Pdif out nowadays (Read 351 times) previous topic - next topic

Computer -> [toslink ->] coax S/Pdif out nowadays

I need to refresh my knowledge on cheap devices to get coax digital out of a (Win7) computer, either from toslink (which my mobo outputs, Gigabyte with Realtek audio) or from USB.  I see the economics of scale at work: a helluvalot of cheap DACs and toslinks out, but not so much that gives coax out.
And I want to connect more than one at the time.  Earlier on I have experienced clashes when trying to connect different USB audio devices, which is also a reason to try mobo toslink -> coax. 

* Cheap optical to coax converters: do they do the job of simply passing the signal over, or are they resampling, corrupting DTS streams, and all that?
* Devices based on TI PCM2704 are dirt cheap these days. Has a DAC, which I don't really need, but which makes it hard for me to read specs: does it pass on to the coax output anything other than 16 bits?
(Do I hear the difference between 16 and 24 bits? Obviously I do if the 24-bit signal does not play. I want compatibility.)
* Even HDMI splitters output digital audio.  Appears like a stupid solution, but if it works ... but documentation is hard to find. But then I will likely have the issue that Windows will lose it if power management turns off the monitor.

In the past I have had mixed experience with cheap USB-audio to coax interfaces:
My HA Info U2 will often (but not always!) BSOD if hotplugged.
This thing: https://archimago.blogspot.no/2013/03/measurements-adaptive-aune-x1.html Since the last half year I have not been able to make it identify itself to Windows. It would always require multiple reconnects, but now it is hopeless.
So I resorted to my old MDPort-DG2 thing - which isn't happy about changing sample rate.
Memento: this is Hydrogenaudio. Do not assume good faith.

Re: Computer -> [toslink ->] coax S/Pdif out nowadays

Reply #1
Check out if mobo has s/pdif pin out and buy cheap adapter from Ebay (SPDIF Optical RCA Bracket Gigabyte Motherboard).

Re: Computer -> [toslink ->] coax S/Pdif out nowadays

Reply #2
Check out if mobo has s/pdif pin out and buy cheap adapter from Ebay (SPDIF Optical RCA Bracket Gigabyte Motherboard).
I don't have room for a bracket, but this was interesting:

"9) SPDIF_O (S/PDIF Out Header)
This header supports digital S/PDIF Out and connects a S/PDIF digital audio cable (provided by expansion
cards) for digital audio output from your motherboard to certain expansion cards like graphics cards and
sound cards."

Thanks a lot!
Memento: this is Hydrogenaudio. Do not assume good faith.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2018