Skip to main content
Topic: foo_enhanced_playcount - Record all song plays and Last.fm scrobbles (Read 19159 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_enhanced_playcount - Record all song plays and Last.fm scrobbles

Reply #200
It was my understanding selecting increments meant the last.fm playcount would increment when it's played.
Well, the way it works right now is that it adds 1 to %lastfm_play_count%, whenever %last_played% is more than 5 minutes greater than %lastfm_last_played%. This will have the effect of bumping the %lastfm_play_count% once the song reaches 1 minute elapsed and %play_count% increments, but it also will bump %lastfm_play_count% if for whatever reason foobar counted a play, but it was never recorded in lastfm (scrobble was ignored/lost, didn't play 50% of the song, etc.). This makes %lastfm_play_count% behave more as a super conservative "guess" at total active playcount: i.e. we know lastfm has 14 scrobbles of this song, and there's at least one we don't know about.

With the option enabled, could you play Stories From the Streets all the way through (and make sure it gets scrobbled), and then see if the numbers sync back up?

Reply #201
I played said track with increments enabled. It was at 14 actual plays and 14 actual scrobbles but %lastfm_play_count%, indicated 15 plays as seen in the previous screenshot. When played fully it changed to 15 actual plays and thus equals %lastfm_play_count%, the actual checked scrobble is also 15. So now I have this particular track correct while all other are off by 1.
If I disable increments, restart foobar all other tracks are correct but now it's Stories From the Streets that's wrong. %lastfm_play_count% is at 14 and only when I import it gets corrected to 15.
I played the same track again this time with increments disabled and the %lastfm_play_count% doesn't increment. Again, only when importing does it sync back up.
I can see why you'd implement the increment option. It's ok for as long you don't create a full comparison list like I did. The numbers didn't make sense to me. Some were right, some were not and always off by 1.  I think I'll be handling this differently, I have a dynamic playlist of recently played tracks of the last 24hours and just gonna update them with an import and sync them back up that way.

Reply #202
I have a request: would it be possible that if the track is less than 30 seconds, to have %lastfm_play_count% simply show the %play_count% amount? Or alternatively make something like %play_count_enhanced% if that feels too inconsistent. This is because last.fm doesn't keep track of tracks less than 30 seconds long, I have to add:
Code: [Select]
$ifgreater(%length_seconds%,30,%lastfm_play_count%,%play_count%)
a bunch of times which is a bit awkward. Also, thank you again for this plugin, it's really great!

Reply #203
I have a request: would it be possible that if the track is less than 30 seconds, to have %lastfm_play_count% simply show the %play_count% amount? Or alternatively make something like %play_count_enhanced% if that feels too inconsistent. This is because last.fm doesn't keep track of tracks less than 30 seconds long, I have to add:
$ifgreater(%length_seconds%,30,%lastfm_play_count%,%play_count%)
a bunch of times which is a bit awkward. Also, thank you again for this plugin, it's really great!
Unfortunately, I don't want to include %play_count% in the component itself because that relies on foo_playcount and doesn't come from this component. Probably 90% of users have that installed, but I still run into some who don't, and because I don't control foo_playcount it's hard to define a perfect solution there.

What I use everywhere in my personal theme is:
$max(%play_count%,%lastfm_play_count%)

// or
$puts(PC,$max(%play_count%,%lastfm_play_count%))
// combined with
$get(PC)
Using those is a little better for the use case where scrobbles were lost/missing/couldn't be found in last.fm.

Reply #204
Oh yeah that makes sense!  :D

I have another thing I noticed--a few tracks I have don't seem to give the right amount of scrobbles (even with the album tag turned off). For example this one:

Returns 0 plays even though you can see on my profile I have 43: https://www.last.fm/user/surasshu/library/music/ビートまりお/_/デスレーベル+95-97-02

A few other songs by this artist also give incorrect amounts, not always 0. This one gave me 25:

But on last.fm it lists 52 scrobbles: https://www.last.fm/user/surasshu/library/music/ビートまりお/_/サイドストームあらし

Any ideas what might be causing this, something I missed?

Reply #205
I have another thing I noticed--a few tracks I have don't seem to give the right amount of scrobbles (even with the album tag turned off). For example this one:

Returns 0 plays even though you can see on my profile I have 43: https://www.last.fm/user/surasshu/library/music/ビートまりお/_/デスレーベル+95-97-02
As you might imagine, the Japanese characters make it impossible for me to tell what's going because I can't really distinguish differences between them :D

Not sure what's happening here, but for debug purposes the best thing you can do is open up the console, start playback of a song having this issue, and then copy the last.fm URL that's shown in the console and paste it here. That'll enable me to debug.

Reply #206
New Beta v4.0.0b4:

Changelog:
When playing a new song, add a 2 second delay before pulling scrobbles to prevent hammering and stop spurious requests for songs that no longer exist in your library [defeatable]

This feature was added by marc2k3, so more thanks to him for his continued contributions!

Reply #207
Understandable! I found another song with a special character in it that isn't getting the correct playcount: 5% TINT by Travis Scott. Also for デスレーベル 95-97-02 (for reference it's called "beatmario - death label 95-97-02") I noticed I was missing a space between the name and the dates, so with that fixed I somehow got 19 plays out of the 43 on last.fm.

Here's the URLs from the console for those songs:
Travis Scott - 5% TINT: http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/2.0/?method=user.getTrackScrobbles&api_key=a1685abe5265b93cf2be4a70d181bf6b&user=surasshu&artist=Travis Scott&track=5% TINT&limit=200&format=json&page=1

ビートまりお - デスレーベル 95-97-02: http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/2.0/?method=user.getTrackScrobbles&api_key=a1685abe5265b93cf2be4a70d181bf6b&user=surasshu&artist=ビートまりお&track=デスレーベル 95-97-02&limit=200&format=json&page=1

I figure one beatmario song is as good as any other one for diagnostic purposes, but let me know if you need more!

Reply #208
Thanks, that's super helpful. I was stupidly not escaping %s so that wasn't working. Fixed now. The issue with your デスレーベル 95-97-02 is that duplicate scrobbles are being removed. See the tooltip on that option and see if you need to leave it checked or unchecked. Unchecking it shows the full 43 scrobbles.

v4.0.0b5
 - Escaping % in artist/title

Reply #209
Thank you! Those scrobbles are almost certainly legitimate--My guess is that foo_audioscrobbler sent them in a batch and that is what gave them all the same timestamp. I'll probably have to suck it up and turn that setting off--the downside of having almost 15 years of scrobbles... varying quality :D

Anyway thank you for the update as well!

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019