Skip to main content

Topic: Foobar hangs when I accidentally start playing a playlist with dead items. (Read 181 times) previous topic - next topic

• mzso
  • [*][*][*][*]
Foobar hangs when I accidentally start playing a playlist with dead items.
Hi!

This used to be a problem several years back. And for a while now it is again.

So when playback doesn't just stop (Random playback, repeat playlist) and probably just when there's a long enough playlist with dead items, foobar starts opening files like crazy. This makes the UI completely unresponsive. After a few seconds Foobar completely hangs. I can only kill its process.

The workaround previously was to add a delay after failing to open a dead item. But apparently that was removed some time ago.

• Case
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer (Donating)
Re: Foobar hangs when I accidentally start playing a playlist with dead items.
Reply #1
Nothing has been removed. Another person complained about the same issue a few days back. What kind of setups do you people run to suffer from the problem? Some very resource heavy javascript based playlists perhaps? I don't lose UI responsiveness even if I run DSPs that remove the silence that foobar2000 plays for missing tracks.

• mzso
  • [*][*][*][*]
Re: Foobar hangs when I accidentally start playing a playlist with dead items.
Reply #2
Nothing has been removed. Another person complained about the same issue a few days back. What kind of setups do you people run to suffer from the problem? Some very resource heavy javascript based playlists perhaps? I don't lose UI responsiveness even if I run DSPs that remove the silence that foobar2000 plays for missing tracks.

There doesn't seem to be a second of silence anymore. (for whatever reason) Playback seems to jump as fast as it can. I don't know what's a javascript based playlist. I have a normal ColumnsUI playlist.

Removing skip silence also helps with the issue. But I've been using that for a long time. It feels rather unlikely that the hangs would only happen relatively recently. (some months)

Regardless, I agree with Xerus. Skip silence should have some safety feature. A stop at an error checkbox at least.