Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Track duration is missing. (Was: Something so simple yet impossible?) (Read 1081 times) previous topic - next topic

Track duration is missing. (Was: Something so simple yet impossible?)

FFS! I just want to input/add/edit track duration when it is missing. I've been googling, searching forums for 30 damned minutes and I keep reading all kinds of somehow unhelpful stuff. Why is it that if the track duration is missing then the option to input the duration goes missing too? Someone remind me how to do it again please. This happens every time, if someone would kindly explain it I'll bookmark this thread for next time.

I right click on the track with missing duration, click properties and then....?

Re: Something so simple yet impossible?

Reply #1
You can't do this. Someone will come along soon to explain how track length is derived. But you can't set it.
That's so plausible, I can't believe it.

Reply #2
I would never consider track duration as an editable property, why would you even think it is?

Reply #3
So I should assume that if there is no track duration then there never can be?

Reply #4
Solved I guess. Think outside of Foobar2000.

Open file with Audacity, export audio, track length obtained.

Might take several hours to think of it. Seems utterly bizarre that something so simple can't be sorted out in Foobar2000 in a couple of seconds.

Reply #5
So I should assume that if there is no track duration then there never can be?

What are you talking about? I would say it seems utterly bizarre to think of editing track duration value. For some reason you seem to have the notion foobar2000 is a sound editor. Yeah you can edit track duration with a sound editor by editing the sound file, why would you even think foobar2000 is a sound editor like Audacity?
My guess is you seem to completely confuse meta data with file properties and you think as if file properties can just be changed by changing a value as if it were meta data.

Reply #6
Track duration and seeking are unsupported with raw AAC files, because supporting either one would require walking the entire file every time it is opened for playback, and walking it on every seek operation. You may also note that tags are unsupported by this raw file format.

Multiplex your files into MPEG 4 containers, and you gain all the functionality. Well, except for gaplessness, since raw AAC lost that information at the encoding stage.

Re: Track duration is missing. (Was: Something so simple yet impossible?)

Reply #7
From the fb2k changelog, under 1.3.10:
"Added support for raw AAC files with ID3v2 tags. Note that use of raw AAC format is discouraged, please use MP4/M4A instead."

If one insists on disregarding the latter good piece of advice: what ID3v2 tags can one fit in a .aac - like, TLEN?

Re: Track duration is missing. (Was: Something so simple yet impossible?)

Reply #8
Which file format is it that was missing length? If kode54's guess was correct and they are AAC files, exporting them with Audacity will re-encode them and their quality will decrease. Or you export them as WAV or other lossless format and their size will grow to be several times of the original. You can losslessly mux them into M4A or MKA without any negative side effects.