Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Vynil or digital? (Read 49262 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Vynil or digital?

Reply #100
Between TOS#8, TOS#2, and TOS#5 pretty much this entire thread deserves to be binned.

Pretty sure it deserves it for the title typo alone (there should be ToS for that tbh). In the words of a wiser man, 'when you're so incompetent at writing English there is no possibility of a reasonable conversation.'

Doomed from the get-go!

Reply #101
Between TOS#8, TOS#2, and TOS#5 pretty much this entire thread deserves to be binned.

Pretty sure it deserves it for the title typo alone (there should be ToS for that tbh). In the words of a wiser man, 'when you're so incompetent at writing English there is no possibility of a reasonable conversation.'

Doomed from the get-go!

This may not be a serious thread /discussion, but we should be able to discuss this subject politely anyways, shouldn't we?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #102
With all due respect, could you quote the exact passages that you feel violate the terms of service rather than just making vague assertions of misconduct, please?
No, I'm not going to have a lawyer go through all 100 of these useless posts line-by-line so he can file a 30-page civil complaint. The post that finally prompted me to say this was Atmasphere's dismissal of the very clear xiph.org factual demonstration as just a "belief" while enshrining an outdated misconception (based on assuming the limitations of simple analog filters still apply to complex digital filters) as truth because it was once taught in universities. But the insults from both sides and at least half of the other quality claims from the vinyl side are also obvious TOS violations, and since none of this thread has really addressed the OP it's arguably all a TOS5 violation.
As well, and with all due respect,  I'll reiterate my original point, that it seems that this is a taboo subject here at Hydrogen Audio that cannot be discussed without either abuse, insults or any real chance of an open or honest discussion. If you do close this thread down, wouldn't that be just an admission that some people at this forum can't deal with this topic?
The taboo subject at HydrogenAudio is anything about audio quality that isn't backed up by scientifically reproducible perceptual testing. Yes, we are happy to admit that we "can't deal" with those kinds of conversations. Such conversations are even more useless than arguments between different auditory-gustatory synesthetes as to how a piece of music tastes.

The actually reproducible facts about vinyl have been discussed at this site countless times, and pages and pages of ill-tempered biased arguments aren't going to add anything.

Reply #103
With all due respect, could you quote the exact passages that you feel violate the terms of service rather than just making vague assertions of misconduct, please?
No, I'm not going to have a lawyer go through all 100 of these useless posts line-by-line so he can file a 30-page civil complaint. The post that finally prompted me to say this was Atmasphere's dismissal of the very clear xiph.org factual demonstration as just a "belief" while enshrining an outdated misconception (based on assuming the limitations of simple analog filters still apply to complex digital filters) as truth because it was once taught in universities. But the insults from both sides and at least half of the other quality claims from the vinyl side are also obvious TOS violations, and since none of this thread has really addressed the OP it's arguably all a TOS5 violation.
As well, and with all due respect,  I'll reiterate my original point, that it seems that this is a taboo subject here at Hydrogen Audio that cannot be discussed without either abuse, insults or any real chance of an open or honest discussion. If you do close this thread down, wouldn't that be just an admission that some people at this forum can't deal with this topic?
The taboo subject at HydrogenAudio is anything about audio quality that isn't backed up by scientifically reproducible perceptual testing. Yes, we are happy to admit that we "can't deal" with those kinds of conversations. Such conversations are even more useless than arguments between different auditory-gustatory synesthetes as to how a piece of music tastes.

The actually reproducible facts about vinyl have been discussed at this site countless times, and pages and pages of ill-tempered biased arguments aren't going to add anything.
I understand that the subject seems settled to you. Great, carry on and let those who are still dealing with this, discuss it. Closing down the discussion doesn't seem like the way to resolve our concerns, or interests, one of which is the dismissiveness that some people here have to those who have an interest in enjoying music conveyed by an analog medium. Look, I get it's not for some people, but other people seem to be ok with it. Why that really bothers some digital "purists" is, quite frankly, beyond me. If people want to stick to digital reproduction chains, great! I totally get it, and I even appreciate your position, however, to deny the "fact" that analog seems adequate just seems biased, sorry.

Reply #104
I understand that the subject seems settled to you. Great, carry on and let those who are still dealing with this, discuss it. Closing down the discussion doesn't seem like the way to resolve our concerns, or interests,
If your concerns and interests aren't in keeping with the purpose and Terms of Service of this forum, then any discussion of them should be conducted on some other forum.
one of which is the dismissiveness that some people here have to those who have an interest in enjoying music conveyed by an analog medium. Look, I get it's not for some people, but other people seem to be ok with it. Why that really bothers some digital "purists" is, quite frankly, beyond me. If people want to stick to digital reproduction chains, great! I totally get it, and I even appreciate your position, however, to deny the "fact" that analog seems adequate just seems biased, sorry.
Take your stupid straw man and stuff it. People are welcome to enjoy listening to music on music box cylinders or wax cylinders or asphalt or whatever medium they want to listen to. Nobody here has ever disputed that. What have been disputed are the unscientific and thus TOS8-violating claims about the sound quality of particular analog media.

Reply #105
Take your stupid straw man and stuff it. People are welcome to enjoy listening to music on music box cylinders or wax cylinders or asphalt or whatever medium they want to listen to. Nobody here has ever disputed that. What have been disputed are the unscientific and thus TOS8-violating claims about the sound quality of particular analog media.
It's not a "straw man" argument to me as that is the reason I often need to resort to analog.

With all due respect, and politely, let me ask you this, if there was some piece of music you cared about, and it was only on vinyl or tape, would that keep you from listening to, and enjoying it?

Reply #106
With all due respect, and politely, let me ask you this, if there was some piece of music you cared about, and it was only on vinyl or tape, would that keep you from listening to it?
Once digitzed it may be a good listen.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #107
@jensend :
The post that finally prompted me to say this was Atmasphere's dismissal of the very clear xiph.org factual demonstration as just a "belief" while enshrining an outdated misconception (based on assuming the limitations of simple analog filters still apply to complex digital filters) as truth because it was once taught in universities.

Clearly you took this the wrong way. (FWIW though, filter theory has not changed). I was merely pointing out two things in that post, none of which had anything to do with that video.

First: belief, which in science is a poor means of going about things. 'Knowledge' works much better.

Second: by deleting the phrase to which I referred, then the post made sense.

I'm not anti-digital. And I do LP mastering, which has allowed me to see that a lot of the claims that the pro-digital camp like to use are not actually real.

If you want to make an argument, its best to work with facts rather than mythology. That is why I made my initial post; it was simply informative in the face of common misinformation. Its all too obvious that a number of posters on this thread were not aware of the facts.

...In much the same way that anti-digital posters often aren't aware of the facts.  But, without all the mis-information around, there would not be much discussion would there? :)

Reply #108
It's not a "straw man" argument to me as that is the reason I often need to resort to analog.
You apparently fail to understand what a straw man is. A straw man argument is where you deliberately misrepresent others' claims and then argue against the misrepresentation rather than their real claims.

Not a single person here has ever said that it's impossible or impermissible to enjoy music played back from analog media. For you to pretend others are saying that, rather than attempting to deal with what they've actually said, is patently offensive. It is dishonest and rude.

Reply #109
You apparently fail to understand what a straw man is. A straw man argument is where you deliberately misrepresent others' claims and then argue against the misrepresentation rather than their real claims.

Not a single person here has ever said that it's impossible or impermissible to enjoy music played back from analog media. For you to pretend others are saying that, rather than attempting to deal with what they've actually said, is patently offensive. It is dishonest and rude.

So, my position has been that it's not digital or analog, it's digital and analog. My position is, and has been, that modern analog media is capable of reproducing music in a manner that is both adequate and enjoyable. If I could ask, what is it that you think I, and others here in this discussion, are claiming?

I also noticed that you didn't answer my question.

By the way, here's one of the statements that concerned me.

Vinyl is not.  You play it back and you get something that is fairly different from what you recorded. 

Here's another.

The relevant issue is not analog in general, but some examples of legacy media (analog tape and LP)  with well known and generally accepted audible and other practical flaws of a very serious nature.

It seems that objectivity is not always easy.

Reply #110
One common statement that has puzzled me is that "music is analog" so analog media must be superior.  I understood music as acoustic energy, which is converted to an analog electric signal (the mike) which must then be converted back to acoustic energy (the speakers).  This is a change of energy state which is why the mike and speakers will always be the weakest link in the most direct signal path.

I also understood that the main advantages of digital storage (or digital signalling more generally) apart from lack of degradation of the signal, is that the ADC to DAC conversion remains within the electrical domain.  That is, there is no further degradation from converting the energy from an analog signal to another energy state, ie mechanical processes, cutting a groove into a LP or magnetising tape. 

Is that incorrect or too simplistic?

Reply #111
... See above. The rule of thumb being that phase shift can be measured to about 1/10th the cutoff frequency; from this we can see that no current audio recording system has wide enough bandwidth- yet. This is basic filter theory and is why amps and preamps have had 100KHz bandwidth going back to the 1950s.

You may wish to qualify that. You're only right for some simple cases of second-order filter response.

... You don't need state of the art to get 40KHz bandwidth- nearly any modern era LP pickup can do that with ease. They can probably go higher but most cutter electronics are bandwidth limited (ours are limited to 42KHz) to prevent stability issues so the recordings needed for such proof can't be made without special consideration. I've not seen the need for that so far.

By your reasoning quoted above, the phase shift of your cutter therefore goes increasingly bad above 4 KHz.

Pinch Effect- That's actually funny!  This statement is blatantly false and clearly made without measurements or hands-on experience. That's the sort of thing in which subjectivists engage! Some here are probably to young to recall, but RCA marketed color video recordings on vinyl, played back with a stylus. Again my recommendation is to work with a lathe rather than engaging in myth and rumor. As I pointed out in my remarks earlier, I had many of these same false impressions until working with the real thing set me straight. 

Pinch effect is quite real, though sometimes overstated. As for RCA's recordings, they bore almost no resemblance to what you do.
There were two competing systems. Both used FM modulated carriers. One system used a vertically modulated groove tracked with a strain-gauge stylus . The other used a system of alternating pits and lands similar to CD (but larger) tracked with a capacitive sensing stylus.  Both systems suffered from premature stylus and disc wear problems.

I also have photomicrographs of CD-4 grooves after a dozen or so plays with the correct cartridge and stylus profile, showing the carrier almost completely worn off the part of the groove contacted by the stylus.

Regards,
   Don Hills
"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

Reply #112
With all due respect, and politely, let me ask you this, if there was some piece of music you cared about, and it was only on vinyl or tape, would that keep you from listening to it?
Once digitzed it may be a good listen.

Hear, hear. Last year, I acquired a copy of one of my old childhood favorites, which was only ever published on LP and audio cassette. It is out of print, so needless to say, I contributed to Discogs' used LP marketplace, in the order of about $13 including shipping. The record was supposed to be "near mint", but it managed to include some minor distortion on the outermost track of the A side, possibly in the original production, or possibly in the original master.

I faithfully recorded it using a $150 USB turntable, using its built in USB ADC, to 48/16, which I then cleaned up in the floating point domain using iZotope RX and most of its cleanup chain, including automatic click removal, and automatic noise removal based on a silent passage collected from the lead out groove, and downmixed the final result to spliced 48/24 FLACs.

It sounds lovely and takes me back, but I'd rather the studio that mastered it had released their original masters in a digital format that I could consume without all this expensive analog repair and recovery technology. Alas, they went on to invent the "As Seen On TV" brand, which they still capitalize off to this day.

Returning to the subject at hand, would you look at you bunch, arguing for days on end. It really brings a tear to the eye, considering how much I've sometimes relished the process of yelling at people who were wrong on the Internet, and how much I sometimes enjoy making people argue. Sadly, I don't think this is the place for this. I usually keep my arguing to Twitter, where I can be short and to the point, and where I can frequently just block people when they get on my nerves.

For all we know, OP was a carefully constructed straw man to begin with, designed for the sole purpose of making the regulars argue amongst themselves. We'll never really know for sure, as they disappeared as quickly as they appeared.

Reply #113
however, to deny the "fact" that analog seems adequate just seems biased, sorry.

Straw man argument based on the vagueness of the word "adequate".

Since you have complained about the lack of objectivity around here, why are you using such a vague and inherently subjective word as "Adequate"?

Do you think that what is adequate for one person might not be adequate for another and that the difference is personal preference?

Reply #114

Doomed from the get-go!

This may not be a serious thread /discussion, but we should be able to discuss this subject politely anyways, shouldn't we?

Depends what you think is polite or impolite.

Is it polite to be a hypocrite who accuses others of a lack of objectivity and then relies on vague language in their own arguments?

Is it polite to ignore evidence that others have worked hard to find on the grounds that it is counter to their personal biases?

Is it polite to respond to carefully worked out statements of fact with straw man arguments?

Reply #115
... See above. The rule of thumb being that phase shift can be measured to about 1/10th the cutoff frequency; from this we can see that no current audio recording system has wide enough bandwidth- yet. This is basic filter theory and is why amps and preamps have had 100KHz bandwidth going back to the 1950s.

You may wish to qualify that. You're only right for some simple cases of second-order filter response.

Good point.
... You don't need state of the art to get 40KHz bandwidth- nearly any modern era LP pickup can do that with ease. They can probably go higher but most cutter electronics are bandwidth limited (ours are limited to 42KHz) to prevent stability issues so the recordings needed for such proof can't be made without special consideration. I've not seen the need for that so far.

By your reasoning quoted above, the phase shift of your cutter therefore goes increasingly bad above 4 KHz.

Yes. But not as bad as other media, studio tape formats for example, which are also the main contributor to the noise of many LPs.

Pinch Effect- That's actually funny!  This statement is blatantly false and clearly made without measurements or hands-on experience. That's the sort of thing in which subjectivists engage! Some here are probably to young to recall, but RCA marketed color video recordings on vinyl, played back with a stylus. Again my recommendation is to work with a lathe rather than engaging in myth and rumor. As I pointed out in my remarks earlier, I had many of these same false impressions until working with the real thing set me straight. 

Pinch effect is quite real, though sometimes overstated. As for RCA's recordings, they bore almost no resemblance to what you do.
There were two competing systems. Both used FM modulated carriers. One system used a vertically modulated groove tracked with a strain-gauge stylus . The other used a system of alternating pits and lands similar to CD (but larger) tracked with a capacitive sensing stylus.  Both systems suffered from premature stylus and disc wear problems.

I also have photomicrographs of CD-4 grooves after a dozen or so plays with the correct cartridge and stylus profile, showing the carrier almost completely worn off the part of the groove contacted by the stylus.

There's a lot to LP tracking that has to do with the arm rather than the cartridge and some has to do with their interaction, such as the mechanical resonance. You can have the correct profile in good condition, tracking at the right weight, but if the arm is not tracking the cartridge properly you'll do a lot more damage than just the carrier! In fact the arm's ability to track the cartridge completely eclipses the choice of cartridge itself. Many inexpensive arms are not up to the task for a variety of reasons: bearing damage (most bearings are too fragile to last all that long in the real world; if you've ever wondered why an arm seems to need readjustment after playing a couple of years with no other influences this is one reason why), poor geometry, lack of adjustability and incompatibility with the cartridge are the most common offenders (if the mechanical resonance falls outside of about an 8 to 12Hz window, the pickup is guaranteed to have tracking problems).

These are easily solvable issues as they are just simple engineering. A lot depends however on an industry's will to do so which was never really there even back when the LP was the only game in town.

Setup is IMO the biggest enemy of the LP (the other being unstable phono equalizers that tend to over-emphasize ticks and pops, causing people to think the ticks and pops are louder than they really are on the LP itself; many Japanese phono equalizers from the 1960s, 70s and 80s are guilty of this phenomena); most people are simply not up to the task of wading through all the options and then actually setting up their pickup correctly. This may well be the biggest boon digital brings to the table over the prior art.

(I use a Triplanar arm running a balanced output (since nearly all cartridges are after all a balanced source), which is arguably the most adjustable arm in the world and certainly has the most durable bearings, being so hard that only one manufacturer makes them worldwide. As a result Triplanar got investigated by the Department of Homeland Security because they were using more of these bearings than Boeing Aerospace. Turns out the DoHS agents like Pink Floyd...)

Reply #116
I run a small LP master facility. We master LPs from all sources. [snip]

The above is false or misleading or both. For example, measuring the speed of a turntable for playback is painfully easy and takes no special equipment at all. You just do a needle drop of a test record with a known frequency test tone. You measure its frequency in the digital domain, and it is what it is. This is different from how one properly sets up a cutting lathe but come to think of it, many of the cutting lathes I've seen can be used to play records, even having a built in tone arm with cartridge,
No false of misleading statements were made; the above claim to that effect is in itself false.

Clearly you've no experience with the Timeline.

The Sutherland Timeline is much better than the suggestion here (although that works too, but not nearly as well). If you want to see the effects of stylus drag (which is highly variable from machine to machine) the suggested technique won't pick it up and the Timeline will.

Absolutely untrue. If the record speed changes the frequency of a test tone cut on the record changes in a corresponding and intimately connected way. That's only common sense.  It is backed up by the laws of physics. My suggested technique corresponds almost exactly to actual use, and so it can correctly reflect any problems that arise in actual use.  Digital means to measure frequency are hundreds or thousands of times more sensitive than the human ear, but also can duplicate the sensitivity of the human ear quite well.

that is moot in the real world due to that slight technicality of having to play it with a real-world stylus.

This statement is false; as stated earlier we see 40KHz bandwidth with our lowly Technics SL1200 and an entry level Grado cartridge played through an 1970s receiver.

Saying so does not make it so, given all of the well-documented contrary evidence. Furthermore, since you obviously don't understand the importance of power bandwidth, there's no reason to think that your evaluations take it into account. Your posts contain numerous exceptional claims and provide zero reliable supporting evidence.

We use such gear specifically to see how our cuts will play out on common equipment.

What gear? So far you've only mentioned an overpriced toy that any skilled technician can live well with out.

Clearly you don't need the bandwidth for its own sake;

Of course you do. Signals have to be fairly robust to be heard.

it helps to reduce phase shift in the audio passband (which is audible in the soundstage because the ear uses phase for sound location).

False and false. Power and phase accuracy are vastly different things. Power bandwidth is irrelevant to phase shift. You can have lots of one and none of the other or vise-versa or a little bit of both. Phase shift applied equally to both channels, is BTW yet another inherent flaw of LP technology - the inner side of the groove and the outer side of the groove have significantly different forces applied to them.  One of them pushes the arm across the record, but there is no such thing as pulling it,  However when the phase shifts applied to both channels are very similar as they are typically with digital, then they work toge
ther.

Similar considerations apply to the cleanliness of freshly-cut lacquers. Unfortunately they have to be played to be meaningful. However vibration in the cutting lathe can be added to the cut groove in the lacquer.  So all this cutting-side theoretical goodness suffers because in the real world, we play them.

Clearly you have not spent any time in this arena; in a nutshell you don't seem to know what you're talking about.

I was probably playing records before your father had a quarter burning a hole in his pocket. I've been in and out of cutting labs going back about 50 years.

A lathe makes noise, but if set up correctly and in good condition it can do -95db (weighted) no worries. My suggestion is to work with a lathe before making such bold/false statements!

In the absence of any reliable evidence...   We know you have an overpriced useless toy tachometer. What else do you have? Do you know how to use it? Do you know what its read-outs mean?

See above. The rule of thumb being that phase shift can be measured to about 1/10th the cutoff frequency; from this we can see that no current audio recording system has wide enough bandwidth- yet. This is basic filter theory and is why amps and preamps have had 100KHz bandwidth going back to the 1950s.

Totally false. Phase shift can be measured at a wide variety of frequencies, and in the presence of frequency roll-offs in the system don't get in the way For example if I thought you could comprehend it, I'd give you the link to phase shift measurements I have posted on the web almost 20 years ago that I made of digital gear that showed negligible phase shift well beyond 50 KHz.

It is also untrue. The relevant item is power bandwidth. That is, the ability to reproduce a signal with useful amplitude an  low distortion. For the LP it is a little more than 12-15 KHz for a SOTA LP player.

This statement is false and suggests a lack of understanding (although the bit about bandwidth was probably true in the early 1950s).  I get what the power bandwidth thing is all about but that really doesn't apply here. Seeing the technology actually, do it can be very helpful to solve this sort of ignorance. The reason CD-4 was possible in the 1970s was because the bandwidth already existed to a large degree; with minor modifications to the process CD-4 was a reality.

You don't need state of the art to get 40KHz bandwidth- nearly any modern era LP pickup can do that with ease. They can probably go higher but most cutter electronics are bandwidth limited (ours are limited to 42KHz) to prevent stability issues so the recordings needed for such proof can't be made without special consideration. I've not seen the need for that so far.

If I thought you could comprehend them I'd give you links to technical reports on the web that show relatively high nonlineaar distortion setting in as low as 5 KHz. 

Reply #117
Pinch Effect- That's actually funny!  This statement is blatantly false and clearly made without measurements or hands-on experience.

That's not true. and more than a little insulting.  With some people, as soon as you show them relevant evidence they deny it based on the grounds that it wasn't made with the megabuck audio jewelry they've blown their wad on, and so it can't be any good.

Some here are probably too young to recall, but RCA marketed color video recordings on vinyl, played back with a stylus.

Selectavision didn't exactly set the world on fire, now did it?  I was working in the trade in those days, and I never saw one in any store. And the abortion it was, I can see why. It would take quite a bit to the the LP look good, but this could have been it!

What you are glossing over is that the CED system bore very little similarity to the vinyl audio disc other than being vinyl:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc

"The first CED prototype discs were multi-layered, consisting of a vinyl substrate, nickel conductive layer, glow-discharge insulating layer and silicone lubricant top layer. However, failure to fully solve the stylus and disc wear and complexity of manufacturing forced RCA to search for simpler solutions to the problem for constructing the disc. The final disc was crafted using PVC blended with carbon to allow the disc to be conductive. To preserve stylus and groove life, a thin layer of silicone was applied to the disc as a lubricant" 

So, it wasn't anything like a LP, didn't use anything that any of would recognize as a cartridge to play it, and was coated with sliicon grease.  As overstuffed with carbon black as it was, it probably shed black goo. Just what I want for Christmas. Thank God we could and did do better. It was worth the wait!

If I were you I'd try to keep this on the low down. Not the audio industries best days, Probably contributed to RCA's demise.

Reply #118
See above. The rule of thumb being that phase shift can be measured to about 1/10th the cutoff frequency; from this we can see that no current audio recording system has wide enough bandwidth- yet. This is basic filter theory and is why amps and preamps have had 100KHz bandwidth going back to the 1950s.

I didn't make that rule; they teach that in engineering class at the universities.

If you have a competent prof, he teaches you something vastly different.

As mangled as you've got things, I'm speculating, but what I think of that you are referring to is like the classic Bode diagam. If you think all Bode diagrams are the same, well you should have kept better attention, because they are different.   This is a pretty good refresher course for you: http://lpsa.swarthmore.edu/Bode/BodeExamples.html

The key thing is: "It is 0 dB up to the break frequency, then drops off with a slope of -20 dB/dec.  The phase is 0 degrees up to 1/10 the break frequency (3 rad/sec) then drops linearly down to -90 degrees at 10 times the break frequency (300 rad/sec)."

However, by the time you get this far into things, you are looking at just one part of the whole transfer function, and it remains for you to put the pieces back together by graphically adding the component graphs. IOW as they say "Draw the overall Bode diagram by adding up the results from step 3."

Now here is the really serious fact that you obviously have no clue about. The low pass filters used in digital are very steep, and they are generally not minimum phase, which was implied by the previous phase/amplitude relationships. They are typically linear phase and therefore their phase/amplitude relationship is about the same as a pure delay, which means that from the standpoint of human perception, there is no audible phase shift at all in the normal audible frequency range.

Reply #119

You and I clearly cannot communicate effectively together. I know what a run out groove is, thanks for the link. "Moral equivalent of a run out groove", on the other hand... I also don't understand "term of art for recordings", but I'm sure that's just me.

There's a reason why I don't post on for what are for me foreign languge forums. Something about actually doing something worthwhile, and not making a fool out of  myself.

I think you're getting confused.  There is no music "in the digital domain".

I'll be generous and chalk up "The digital domain" as yet one more common English phase that you are clueless about.

Be definition this must be converted to analogue before it's "music".

Wrong. Music can be expressed in any of a large number of mediums and formats and in English, we call them all music.

Your ignorance of physics is such that you apparently don't know that all acoustic events are quantized at some level, not just digital.  If we agreed with  you, then a signal in a wire that represents music isn't music because it has to be converted to an acoustic sound to be heard. In reality we native English speakers  call it all music, whether the signal in the wire is analog or digital.

You're right, Funkstar. You are so incompetent at reading and writing English that there is no possibility of a reasonable conversation with you. I suspect the problem is more your state of mind or lack thereof, and not your native language.

Can I please ask for some assistance from another forum member. I would like to understand what Arnold means by "Moral equivalent of a run out groove" and "term of art for recordings", because to me they make no sense at all. Moral equivalence to me is a very technical philosophical term and "term of art for recordings" I just don't know. It's the "of art" that I think I have issues with.

I though digital domain was a common term, but maybe I am mistaken http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/41323/digital-domain

Arnold, by digital domain, I am asserting that until you convert those 1&0s to an analogue signal and out put it from a loudspeaker device, it is not music, but a representation of music. So a measurement directly of the 1&0s is an unrealistic exercise.

I find your arguments to be very confrontational on a personal level, and that does not further the understanding of your points.

Also, I suspect that neither you nor I are qualified to comment on "all acoustic events are quantized at some level". Nor do I see it's relevance to the argument.

Reply #120
Arnold, by digital domain, I am asserting that until you convert those 1&0s to an analogue signal and out put it from a loudspeaker device, it is not music, but a representation of music.

Just like an analog electrical signal is not music either, but a representation of music.

So a measurement directly of the 1&0s is an unrealistic exercise.

I don't see why that would follow from what you wrote above. Why is it an "unrealistic exercise"?

Reply #121

Arnold, by digital domain, I am asserting that until you convert those 1&0s to an analogue signal and out put it from a loudspeaker device, it is not music, but a representation of music. So a measurement directly of the 1&0s is an unrealistic exercise.

Well my Funky friend, you are studying this English you were mangling, and you are becoming at least an understudy to your star-like pretense.  So now you are not purely wrong, but have achieved being partially right and unfortunately still wrong at the end.

Some parts of music production are still unchanged, such as playing the instruments, and picking them up with microphones. Of course a decent amount of  music is now synthesized in the digital domain, so it is only the actual creation of the selection of the  notes inside a human body that remains in the analog domain. The music becomes digital when it is written down or encoded via software by a human. It won't be that long before large parts of the actual creation part becomes digital via artificial intelligence. One day, probably within my life, I'll hear the first revelation that a top music hit was written by an AI, and the creation of music will be 100.000% digital.

Regardless, today everything else up to the voice coil of the electromechanical  transducer (often called a loudspeaker or headphones) can, often, and perhaps even usually  takes place in the digital domain. So when you say "So a measurement directly of the 1&0s is an unrealistic exercise." you show that you have nothing to contribute to this discussion for reason of unconscious irrelevance. Wake up!

I find your arguments to be very confrontational on a personal level, and that does not further the understanding of your points.

I've written perhaps a half million posts over a period of more than 20 years  directed at people who were silly enough to think that they could correct people like me, my peers, my superiors, and my associates. These were people  who were as wrong about audio technology as you, or the rare ones who were even worse off.

There is a scientifically recognized mental malady called "The Kruger-Dunning Syndrome" which in short describes the natural human tendency to overestimate one's own competence. BTW, that Kruger was not myself or a relative.

Also, I suspect that neither you nor I are qualified to comment on "all acoustic events are quantized at some level". Nor do I see it's relevance to the argument.

That's an insult, and it is also wrong. That audio in the natural world at a molecular level is  quantized is actually well known and accepted in knowledgeable circles including many who post here. You are just so over your head!

However, the fact that you lowered yourself to actually study a matter before further commenting on it is very hopeful. Keep it up!

Reply #122

Well my Funky friend, you are studying this English you were mangling, and you are becoming at least an understudy to your star-like pretense.  So now you are not purely wrong, but have achieved being partially right and unfortunately still wrong at the end.

Some parts of music production are still unchanged, such as playing the instruments, and picking them up with microphones. Of course a decent amount of  music is now synthesized in the digital domain, so it is only the actual creation of the selection of the  notes inside a human body that remains in the analog domain. The music becomes digital when it is written down or encoded via software by a human. It won't be that long before large parts of the actual creation part becomes digital via artificial intelligence. One day, probably within my life, I'll hear the first revelation that a top music hit was written by an AI, and the creation of music will be 100.000% digital.

Regardless, today everything else up to the voice coil of the electromechanical  transducer (often called a loudspeaker or headphones) can, often, and perhaps even usually  takes place in the digital domain. So when you say "So a measurement directly of the 1&0s is an unrealistic exercise." you show that you have nothing to contribute to this discussion for reason of unconscious irrelevance. Wake up!

I've written perhaps a half million posts over a period of more than 20 years  directed at people who were silly enough to think that they could correct people like me, my peers, my superiors, and my associates. These were people  who were as wrong about audio technology as you, or the rare ones who were even worse off.

There is a scientifically recognized mental malady called "The Kruger-Dunning Syndrome" which in short describes the natural human tendency to overestimate one's own competence. BTW, that Kruger was not myself or a relative.

That's an insult, and it is also wrong. That audio in the natural world at a molecular level is  quantized is actually well known and accepted in knowledgeable circles including many who post here. You are just so over your head!

However, the fact that you lowered yourself to actually study a matter before further commenting on it is very hopeful. Keep it up!

I'm now too embarrassed for both you and I to take this any further.

Reply #123
Arnold, by digital domain, I am asserting that until you convert those 1&0s to an analogue signal and out put it from a loudspeaker device, it is not music, but a representation of music.

Just like an analog electrical signal is not music either, but a representation of music.

So a measurement directly of the 1&0s is an unrealistic exercise.

I don't see why that would follow from what you wrote above. Why is it an "unrealistic exercise"?

My point is that I can produce a file that has a (let's say) infinite dynamic range and bandwidth. This can be created and measured digitally. My assertion is that a theoretical file like this is of no practical difference to any other system that offers enough bandwidth and dynamic range to be transparent, be it CD, reel to reel tape, or vinyl. I fully agree that digital audio massively outperforms analogue, but there are in fact plenty of analogue systems that offer transparency.

Now to bring things back on point - when I listen to a record, I am not aware of the playback medium. To me, this means that in some sense it is transparent to me.

If necessary I can offer some ABX results, but it's difficult to verify that I don't hear a difference (i.e. A failed ABX test is easy to fake...)

Reply #124
... The cutter head of any mastering system take a few watts to drive. But the cutter amps as a rule of thumb make about 10X whatever the power the cutter needs. Example: our cutter (Westerex 3D) takes about 7-8 watts maximum. The amps make about 125 watts at full power. The amps, as you can imagine, don't make that much distortion even at full power. The reason this is so of course is so that the amps cannot be clipped. Period. ...

Interesting. I always thought the amps needed that capability so they could provide enough voltage swing to compensate for the rising impedance of the cutter head coils at high frequencies.

There is a nice informative AES paper from 1964 - when the 3D was introduced. Most are unchanged to this day, except in terms of driver electronics. http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=745 .

Interesting factoid - the AES paper has a schematic of the amp that Westrex RA-1574-D included as part of the system. It was a vacuum tube unit with 7027 output tubes (roughly KT 88s) which works out to about 60 wpc.  Figure 6 reveals that the natural response of the cutter head is basically a damped peak at 1 KHz with 18 dB or so slopes on each side extending 20Hz-20 KHz.  Response is 40 dB down at 30 Hz, the lowest frequency reported. Obviously without a ton of eq of some kind, it would be unlistenable, even with the usual 20 dB of RIAA eq at 50 Hz.  The exception is the barely damped  32 dB peak at about 13 KHz (!!!!).  I'd estimate its Q at about 20 (!!!!).

Other web user experience type sites reveal that the cutter has a DC resistance of about 11 ohms, so whatever the wild response curve shows, the impedance curve never gets much lower than that.

Frying these was fairly common despite the fact that the mechanism was rated for a long term temperature rise to 220 degrees. The wiring was brazed, not soft soldered, for example. Some more SOTA shops went so far as to use liquefied gas (Nitrogen)  for cooling the  cutter head. I recall seeing a photograph of this going on - quite spectacular!

... (BTW if you want to test speed stability in a turntable, get a Sutherland Timeline. ...

Or Feickert's PlatterSpeed:
http://archimago.blogspot.com.au/2017/06/musings-measurement-thoughts-on-vinyl.html

Which uses a test tone off of a test record, IOW what I suggested doing but commercialized. Sort of like a turntable tachometer for dummies!