Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iTunes MP3 highpass 10hz (Read 11519 times) previous topic - next topic

iTunes MP3 highpass 10hz

Guys, Recently i've been messing around with iTunes, and i want to ask about one of all option in iTunes MP3 Encoder, "Filter frequency below 10hz", i don't want to mess with that option, since i never mess with lowpass and highpass, but could someone explain to me about this ? did this increase audio quality ? and what if i use it in LAME, since iTunes MP3 Encoder use it as general basis.

Thanks guys.
qaac -cvbr 0 -he

Re: iTunes MP3 highpass 10hz

Reply #1
I am assuming that the intended usage of that setting, since it is on encoding, is to kill any DC offset that the original audio might have.

Reply #2
Thanks for the answer, and what about "smart encoding adjustments" option, for all i know, iTunes only have few options, so why there's "smart encoding adjustments" option ?, i can't really see the difference ? except for stereo separation, <200 kbps have joint stereo, and >200 kbps, other than that i don't know... well iTunes mp3 is not like lame, i can see it every time i encode audio because lame has CLI and iTunes not...

Did "smart encoding adjustments" change all settings that i set ? did that change the 10hz highpass value too, because when i see the support page on apple, it's only "smart encoding adjustments" is to maximize quality, that's all...
qaac -cvbr 0 -he

Reply #3
I can't comment on that other button and it's been ages since I last used iTunes.

Reply #4
Killing DC offset on one file at a time is not necessarily safe. If the filter doesn't remember the history of the preceding audio, and resets at the beginning of a track, and there actually is DC or low frequency rumble preset, this will create a click. I don't know how iTunes does it, whether it processes the whole album at once.

Reply #5
iTunes does it one file at a time, that's why i ask about it, and it seems like "highpass 10hz" is default option on iTunes MP3, because when i press "restore default settings" that option is checked, should i leave it or unchecked it ?
qaac -cvbr 0 -he