Skip to main content
Topic: How are the Zeppelin remasters? (Read 3836 times) previous topic - next topic

How are the Zeppelin remasters?

This thread prompted me to pull out my copy of Led Zeppelin IV.  I noticed, however, when I was listening to it, it sounded like crap.  I held it up to the light and discovered that, over the years, it had accumulated quite a few holes in its reflective layer.  It was so bad I was amazed it even played.

Looks like I'll be replacing it at some point.  So, my question is, to anyone that's heard them, are the remasters (regular CD, not SACD or anything) for sale right now any good or are they overcompressed crap like most everything for sale today?
I am *expanding!*  It is so much *squishy* to *smell* you!  *Campers* are the best!  I have *anticipation* and then what?  Better parties in *the middle* for sure.
http://www.phong.org/

Reply #1
Well I don't own IV, but I do own the Early Days & Latter Days Best of CD's (released in 2002). They are mastered very well in my opinion, sound great with no overcompression. Jimmy Page has always been very careful with remasters, so I doubt you will be able to find a bad version of IV anywhere.
iTunes 10 - Mac OS X 10.6
256kbps AAC VBR
iPhone 4 32GB

Reply #2
The circa 1994 mass-market remasters are good IMO, very acceptable for their age, but they may be exactly the same thing you already have.

I wouldn't call most stuff from that era availible today overcompressed crap, either, so you might have a different opinion.

Reply #3
My copy dates back to the mid to late 80s (it came in a longbox  ) and I'd wager the ca. 1994 versions are better.

Also, instead of "most everything for sale today," I probably should have said "very many new albums and even some classics that have been remastered in the past couple years".
I am *expanding!*  It is so much *squishy* to *smell* you!  *Campers* are the best!  I have *anticipation* and then what?  Better parties in *the middle* for sure.

Reply #4
A lot of newer stuff is either overcompressed or clips all day long on purpose - it's part of the "experience"

Reply #5
I bought that 4 CD box set back in 1990 or whatever and I think it sounds pretty good. Was expensive at the time, $100Cdn IIRC, don't know about anything released after that as I was more than satisfied with it.

Reply #6
There are NEW remasters out now though, like in the last few months, which come in mini-LP jackets instead of jewel cases.

When were these Atlantic releases that I have released? No dates on 'em.

Anyone done a comparison?

Reply #7
The quality my copy - labeled "Atlantic 19129-2 (250 008) 112014" - even in the parts that aren't physically damaged isn't anything to write home about.  Most of the tracks have some tape hiss and it sounds pretty muddy in several parts.  It wouldn't be too hard to improve on.  Even the printing on the disc is pretty crude. 

Now I'm awfully curious what versions are out there.  I'll look at the jacket when I get home to see if I can nail down any more details.  I might even still have the longbox lying around somewheres.
Edit: Nothing else on the jacket or back of the jewel case.

Reply #8
There are NEW remasters out now though, like in the last few months, which come in mini-LP jackets instead of jewel cases.

Are you sure it's not just the jacket that has changed? Amazon doesnt list anything like this, except imports which I strongly suspect use the same mastering job.

Reply #9
The quality my copy - labeled "Atlantic 19129-2 (250 008) 112014" - even in the parts that aren't physically damaged isn't anything to write home about.  Most of the tracks have some tape hiss and it sounds pretty muddy in several parts.  It wouldn't be too hard to improve on.  Even the printing on the disc is pretty crude. 

Now I'm awfully curious what versions are out there.  I'll look at the jacket when I get home to see if I can nail down any more details.  I might even still have the longbox lying around somewheres.
Edit: Nothing else on the jacket or back of the jewel case.

Check the copyright date on the back of the jewel case. Sometimes it is updated when a new master or re-release of an album is done. That'll tell you what version it is.
iTunes 10 - Mac OS X 10.6
256kbps AAC VBR
iPhone 4 32GB

Reply #10
It says (P) 1971 Atlantic, which IIRC was the actual year the original was released.  Years before the CD was mastered anyhow.  Also, It's not an © it's a (P)?!  (I don't know what the P means).

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020