Skip to main content
Topic: Minor issue in the installer (Read 582 times) previous topic - next topic

Minor issue in the installer

I have two user accounts on my Windows 7 x64 system: my personal account, which is a standard account and the administrator account. When running the installer from the standard account while foobar is open, the installer will fail to close foobar and give the error "Error opening file for writing" after a few seconds, but if i close foobar manually and click "Retry", the update will proceed just fine.

Updating from the admin account works just fine, it automatically closes foobar. So, my guess is that the installer is stuck trying to close a non-existent instance instead of the one started by the standard account.

I hope this can be reproduced ;)
| TAK pMax | QAAC ~ 192 kbps |

Re: Minor issue in the installer

Reply #1
Are you running foobar as admin, while in your standard account?

Reply #2
Are you running foobar as admin, while in your standard account?
Nope.
This has happened also with my desktop (which is now dead), this behavior is old, probably years, i don't remember... I'll wait a few days to see if someone can reproduce it, if not, i'll reinstall windows to see if it's reproducible with a clean installation... or maybe not since this issue is not a big deal :D

Reply #3
The issue was easy to reproduce with the clear description. I reproduced it immediately after seeing your post. I just didn't want to report until I had a fix, but had to pop in to prevent you from wasting time with useless reinstall.

Just your scenario would be easy to fix but I realized the system would fail if another unrelated user on the machine was running the program. I'm currently experimenting with checking the process owner and perhaps asking the user to close the player if the process is owned by unknown user. Not sure yet.

I must say your use case is a bit peculiar. You could achieve the same security benefit with better usability by just using UAC with Vista or newer OS.

Reply #4
Thank you, Case!

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020