Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Repair an ogg file converted in mp3 (Read 13119 times) previous topic - next topic

Repair an ogg file converted in mp3

Hello,

First of all, excuse me for my poor english !
I've an ogg vorbis file where I've typed .mp3 to try to read it but I've corrupted the file and now, when I try to read it, there is a big noise / interference. Do you know how I can fix it to remove this noise ?
I've already read the subjet Repair/Fix an ogg file and I've tried "oggz-sort Enregistrement -o fixed.ogg" but it doesn't work...

Thanks

Re: Repair an ogg file converted in mp3

Reply #1
I think you need to explain better what you did.  What does " I've typed .mp3 to try to read it" mean?

Reply #2
Thank you for your response !!

I've maid a record file on Linux and I've tried to read it on Windows but Linux doesn't need extension like .ogg or .mp3 to read files so there wasn't extension at the end of my filename.
So to read the file, I've added .mp3 at the end of my filename and opened it with VLC...
But when I've tried to replace the .mp3 by .ogg, there was a big noise so I can't ear the voice on the record.
Do you know a tool that can repair my file to remove this noise ?

Reply #3
If the file is vorbis you only need to rename it from .mp3 to .ogg. if that doesn't work, then it's probably not a vorbis file.

Reply #4
If the file is vorbis you only need to rename it from .mp3 to .ogg. if that doesn't work, then it's probably not a vorbis file.

Well, not necessarily. My thery about what happened is that: a) VLC thouhgt the file was a mp3, b) VLC changed somehow some MP3-tags, c) after renaming the file again into .ogg all was left was a corrupted file.

Reply #5

Well, not necessarily. My thery about what happened is that: a) VLC thouhgt the file was a mp3, b) VLC changed somehow some MP3-tags, c) after renaming the file again into .ogg all was left was a corrupted file.

Exactly my thought.

Try to open it in VLC again and from there extract the audio stream.

Reply #6

Exactly my thought.

Try to open it in VLC again and from there extract the audio stream.

I've tried to but there was this horrible noise so I can't extraction the audio stream because of this noise..

Reply #7
Some other things you can try:

decode the file to WAV using an OGG decoder
decode the file to WAV using a MP3 decoder (such as LAME)
decode the file to WAV using ffmpeg (ffmpeg is pretty good in detecting input filetype)

If none of this works you probably have a corrupted file beyond repair.

Reply #8
First do you have the original file on linux?

Does it still play on linux?

If so all is not lost.

Copy the file again over to windows.

If windows shows the file with no extension add .ogg as an extension and it should play. Carefull here as linux does use file extensions as well so do not add the extension in Linux only when the file is on a windows system if needed.

Files on Linux do have extensions they are just hidden so adding an extension in Linux would give a file such as 'My record.ogg.mp3' leading to a little more confusion.

Adding .mp3 as an extension then attempting to play it on windows can have disastrous effects if any tag writing has happened then it could all be lost.

To check if it can be repaired you will need a hex editor and a good understanding of the .ogg container format.

Hope you have the oeiginal file.