Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Gapless (Read 3750 times) previous topic - next topic

Gapless

I know the answer for MP3 (n), OGG (y), AAC (n), and MPC (y) on gapless. What about WMA? It is not gapless on WMP, but that may be a function of the player and not the codec. Anyone know the answer? Also, is EAC embedded with WMA9 or WMAPro9? Everyone in this forum seems to think WMAPro is far superior (although still an inferior codec overall). I ask these questions because many music sites have moved to WMA. 

Also, does anyone know of any portables that can 'simulate' gapless, like many software applications do?

Gapless

Reply #1
Yes, WMA is gapless.

Is EAC embedded with WMA9 or WMAPro9 [...]

What do you mean by that? If you mean does EAC come with WMA9 codecs, the answer is no.
If you mean does EAC support encoding with WMA, it should be possible with a CLI encoder. (edit: actually, EAC has built-in WMA9 support.)

Also, does anyone know of any portables that can 'simulate' gapless, like many software applications do?

Sorry, can't help you there.
Hard work might not kill you, but why take any chances?

Gapless

Reply #3
Yes, WMA is gapless.

Wow! I had no idea. WMP is a weak player then, because there are diefinitely gaps between songs when using this player. That does make WMA a better codec than I previously thought.

If you mean does EAC come with WMA9 codecs, the answer is no.

The new EAC does. Unlike other codecs, like LAME or OGG, where you have to install the exe file in a directory and point to it. With WMA, you merely select WMA9, the compression rate, and EAC does the rest when you press the MP3 button.

I just do not know if it is WMA9 or WMA9Pro.

I'll check out the links nyarlathotep provided.

Gapless

Reply #4
WMP is a weak player then [...]

Yup... that's why I call it the WiMP .
If you mean does EAC come with WMA9 codecs, the answer is no.
The new EAC does.

Well.. EAC has built-in support for WMA9, but the standard distribution doesn't contain the codecs. It does contain a Microsoft VBS script for WMA9 encoding, but that's it. You need to have the codecs installed beforehand.
Hard work might not kill you, but why take any chances?

Gapless

Reply #5
You need to have the codecs installed beforehand.

Yes. All you need is EAC and WMP9 already installed. The codec is then in one of Windows system folders.

Gapless

Reply #6
All you need is EAC and WMP9 already installed. The codec is then in one of Windows system folders.

And I have both installed - I guess that explains it.

Still, how does one tell if one is using WMA or WMAPro? There is no distinction within the EAC selection menu.

Gapless

Reply #7
Yes, WMA is gapless.

Is WMA truely gapless?
I think WMA8,9,9pro is not gapless like mp3.
Because when I decode to wave, it is different sample size from source wave file...

Am I wrong?