Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Complete HiFi Setup (from scratch) - Buying Reccomendations (Read 24700 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Complete HiFi Setup (from scratch) - Buying Reccomendations

Reply #50
If we look at a frequency graph, the big hole is not so big anymore. Here you can see the measurements from "Sound&Recording" magazine. While it does not looks as good as the Neumann KH120 or Genelec 8351, the reviewer stated that the directivity of the LSR305/308 is amongst the best.

Many people are unfamiliar with directivity and frequency response plots such as these. They are a lot more relevant and easy to understand if there is an apples to apples comparison (none in this thread yet that I can see) instead of comparisons to things that are completely undocumented in the thread. 

Without an actual competitive equipment plots for comparison, I fear that the tendency may be to compare a real world speaker with some imaginary perfect speaker. The claim that a home built speaker with fancy level controls is superior IMO completely misses the point.

Fancy level controls don't do a lot for directivity control or frequency response, especially in comparison to a speaker that is based on constant-directivity drivers instead of point source tweeters, and DSP-based frequency contouring as opposed to the inherent problems of trying to do the same thing with a few passive components in the analog domain. All this in a speaker that is not on the market. Is this not completely OT?

I never said that the  LSR305/308 is perfect or even amongst the best simply because I don't know. I will say that it is IME (with other real commercial speakers that anyone can buy) they are better than any of its like-priced competition. 

Around here the obvious competition have been the two Behringer Truths. In general, is both listening comparisons including some ABX-ing, and also with measurements, the larger JBLs are preferred. 

Comparison to more conventional speakers is also interesting and generally shows advantage: JBL.

You are right, the only real bothering point seems to me the luminous on axis trebles here to comensate the natural rolloff of the 1' tweeter... 9Db!!! after 15K and 6Db at 9K (talking only about direcivity the world bests 1' tweeters have a 6Db rolloff at 10K).
They are pretty heavy equalized.

Fancy level controls are useful when you need to manage the bass quantity that can be bothering on some recordings (Example : the Wailers bassist is fantastic, but i always listen his huge basslines with a -12Db slope at 50Hz whatever the loudspeakers i use)

Reply #51
I agree, it looks like a big hole if we look at the measurements from 0°-90°.

If we look at a frequency graph, the big hole is not so big anymore. Here you can see the measurements from "Sound&Recording" magazine. While it does not looks as good as the Neumann KH120 or Genelec 8351, the reviewer stated that the directivity of the LSR305/308 is amongst the best.

The 2K frequency is radiating only on 30°... it's few !

Reply #52
Again(!) there has been no alternate solution by which it could be compared.  How do you know this same "problem" won't also be shown with different speakers?

Reply #53

You are right, the only real bothering point seems to me the luminous on axis trebles here to comensate the natural rolloff of the 1' tweeter... 9Db!!! after 15K and 6Db at 9K (talking only about direcivity the world bests 1' tweeters have a 6Db rolloff at 10K).

None of the above makes any sense.

And you have positive evidence of this from where? 

Fancy level controls are useful when you need to manage the bass quantity that can be bothering on some recordings (Example : the Wailers bassist is fantastic, but i always listen his huge basslines with a -12Db slope at 50Hz whatever the loudspeakers i use)

Ever hear of parametric equalizers?  Most people would prefer to have one of those for that purpose.

A good one that you already paid for is in any fairly modern PC  it is called The APO equalizer and a good set of controls for it are freely downloadable here:

Peace  Equalizer setup and control freeware

Reply #54
The 2K frequency is radiating only on 30°....
Um, no? It's ~3dB quieter above 30°, which is still pretty good. I don't know what your point is.

Reply #55
Again(!)

Are you feeling someting strong ?  8)

None of the above makes any sense.

And you have positive evidence of this from where? 

Sorry, i forgot to mention the off axis angle (60°)
You are perhaps not going to read all the planet manufacturers tweeters datasheets but there is no 1' textile dome on earth at any price able to achive this performance, all these domes are beaming fast at 10Khz.
They are intelligentely equalized... but the white zones on the graph are HUGE spikes that gives "airy" and artificial highs.

Ever hear of parametric equalizers?  Most people would prefer to have one of those for that purpose.

A good one that you already paid for is in any fairly modern PC  it is called The APO equalizer and a good set of controls for it are freely downloadable here:

Yes i use them sometimes but i'm not always using a computer to listen music, so i've implemented theses attenuations by a linear active circuit with 6Db/oct slopes in order to preserve the global tonality that sharp slopes totally destroys.

Um, no? It's ~3dB quieter above 30°, which is still pretty good. I don't know what your point is.

You should read the black enveloppe :

Imagine that there is 1 meter between your proximity monitors and you are seated at 60 centimeters of the front panel of you loudspeakers... no stereo image.

Reply #56

Yes i use them sometimes but i'm not always using a computer to listen music, so i've implemented theses attenuations by a linear active circuit with 6Db/oct slopes in order to preserve the global tonality that sharp slopes totally destroys.

The woo is strong with this one.

I guess my +3dB low shelf 12dB/oct filter at 100Hz is completely destroying the "global tonality" of my music, even though it sounds great and gives kick drums in particular a very pleasant kick.

Imagine that there is 1 meter between your proximity monitors and you are seated at 60 centimeters of the front panel of you loudspeakers... no stereo image.

Have you literally never heard of toe-in? It's kinda really important for nearfield listening.

And strictly speaking, an equilateral triangle is closer to ideal positioning. If the speakers are 1m apart, you should be sitting 1m away from each of the speakers. It's obviously not a hard and fast rule, but it's a generally accepted best practice.

If you sit obnoxiously close, almost right between the speakers, of course they'll sound strange. They're not made for that use case, you'd want omnidirectional speakers for that.

Reply #57
The woo is strong with this one.

I guess my +3dB low shelf 12dB/oct filter at 100Hz is completely destroying the "global tonality" of my music, even though it sounds great and gives kick drums in particular a very pleasant kick.

I was talking of my configuration... not yours  ;)

Have you literally never heard of toe-in? It's kinda really important for nearfield listening.

And strictly speaking, an equilateral triangle is closer to ideal positioning. If the speakers are 1m apart, you should be sitting 1m away from each of the speakers. It's obviously not a hard and fast rule, but it's a generally accepted best practice.

If you sit obnoxiously close, almost right between the speakers, of course they'll sound strange. They're not made for that use case, you'd want omnidirectional speakers for that.

The one meter configuration needs a very, very large desktop if you need access to your computer.
And the toed in configuration has the extreme on axis highs issue (white zones at 8KHz-9KHz and after 15KHz)

Reply #58

You were speaking in general terms.

"with 6Db/oct slopes in order to preserve the global tonality that sharp slopes totally destroys."

Please define "global tonality" and how the use of sharp EQ slopes would "totally destroy" it. Because people have been using high-Q EQ cuts for decades to shape sound, with no apparent resulting atonality.

The one meter configuration needs a very, very large desktop if you need access to your computer.
And the toed in configuration has the extreme on axis highs issue (white zones at 8KHz-9KHz and after 15KHz)

Yes, it needs a large desktop, or speakers placed on stands behind and to the side. Or a relatively large mixing desk, which is probably the most common usage scenario for active monitors. Or you could just move the speakers a little closer to each other, to achieve an equilateral triangle.

You're looking at the graph and concluding that there is an on-axis high-frequency issue. Do you have anything other than a simplified graph to back this up?

Reply #59
Just how obvious do trolls have to make themselves beyond first posts, before recognition?
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #60

You were speaking in general terms.

"with 6Db/oct slopes in order to preserve the global tonality that sharp slopes totally destroys."

Please define "global tonality" and how the use of sharp EQ slopes would "totally destroy" it. Because people have been using high-Q EQ cuts for decades to shape sound, with no apparent resulting atonality.

In my head... it is the frequency equilibrium of the whole low end response under 120Hz.
But i'm using large membrane bass drivers able to pressurize the room effortless down to 45Hz, a spike is a lot more easely detectable.
The placement of the bass driver in the room is highly critical and the size of the loudspeakers drivers is also highly critical if you can't choose large drivers and constrained to put them in front of you... equalizations and frustrations should be your playground.
I sometimes take the time to map my room with measurement mic, a good bass source placement in the room is tricky.

Yes, it needs a large desktop, or speakers placed on stands behind and to the side. Or a relatively large mixing desk, which is probably the most common usage scenario for active monitors. Or you could just move the speakers a little closer to each other, to achieve an equilateral triangle.

You're looking at the graph and concluding that there is an on-axis high-frequency issue. Do you have anything other than a simplified graph to back this up?

The two graphs are clearly showing the spikes... they are probably not approved by JBL owners, there is other measurements on gearslut showing this issue.

You are right the stereo is here at 1meter... if your head is 15,24 centimeter wide.
I'm kidding  :D

Reply #61
Just how obvious do trolls have to make themselves beyond first posts, before recognition?

Sohalt seems OK, had been helped and has taken his decision... what is the problem ?

Reply #62

In my head... it is the frequency equilibrium of the whole low end response under 120Hz.
But i'm using large membrane bass drivers able to pressurize the room effortless down to 45Hz, a spike is a lot more easely detectable.
The placement of the bass driver in the room is highly critical and the size of the loudspeakers drivers is also highly critical if you can't choose large drivers and constrained to put them in front of you... equalizations and frustrations should be your playground.
I sometimes take the time to map my room with measurement mic, a good bass source placement in the room is tricky.

I have good response down to ~35Hz in my room, using two subwoofers. There are quite prominent response peaks at 45Hz and 75Hz, measured around my normal listening position.

I have flattened these peaks by -6dB and -3.5dB respectively. The "tonality" and "coherence" and whatnot has not been negatively impacted by this, in fact the overall sound quality has improved dramatically, now that I don't have two annoying boomy peak resonances.

Is it ideal to have to cut -6dB? No, but this is my living room, it's relatively small and has an odd shape. There's a hard limit to what I can do to it, acoustic treatment-wise, while still retaining its function as a living room.

You seem to labor under the assumption that equalization is a bad thing, by definition. As with anything else, it only becomes destructive if you overdo it.

The two graphs are clearly showing the spikes... they are probably not approved by JBL owners, there is other measurements on gearslut showing this issue.

You are right the stereo is here at 1meter... if your head is 15,24 centimeter wide.
I'm kidding  :D

Speaker. Toe. In.

It's hardly an obscure concept.

As far as the graphs: Yes, they show a slight peak at those frequencies. Is it an issue? I highly doubt it.

Reply #63
I agree, it looks like a big hole if we look at the measurements from 0°-90°.

The 2K frequency is radiating only on 30°... it's few !

Actually, it is radiating over a 60 degree angle. The chart is based on 30 off axis to the left or right, for a total of 60 degrees.

Maybe more traditional curves such as the ones shown here would make things more clear::

LSR-308 review

Please notice that the LSR 308 is flat within a dB or two up to 10 KHz over a +/- 30 degree (total 60 degree) horizontal spread.  This is possible because the tweeter is a constant-directivity waveguide as compared the more typical dome tweeter  whose response at 10 KHz and up falls off more rapidly as we move even slightly off axis.  (example: Typical high quality dome tweeter axial performance )

Reply #64

LSR 308... hole on the mids and shrill highs.

LSR305... fine !

Reply #66

LSR 308... hole on the mids and shrill highs.

LSR305... fine !

You did notice that the LSR308 graph says "vertical", while the LSR305 graph says "horizontal", right? ;-)

Have you been trying to pass off a vertical directivity graph as a horizontal directivity graph this whole time? That's either a major unintentional fuckup, or deliberate misdirection.

Reply #68
That's a pretty big fuckup.

As if it wasn't already obvious that he's divining sound quality for devices he has likely never auditioned.

His credibility is continuing to plummet.

Reply #69
And as we can obviously see now, the horizontal dispersion is exemplary in both the LSR305 and the LSR308, with the latter being slightly more directional, I expect this is because of the larger frontal area of the cabinet?

I'm not sure I follow you on the "boom boom". Looks fine to me, and might I add sounded perfectly fine to me when I listened to them myself, back when I was considering replacing my Adam A5Xs. No "boom-boom" or "honkiness" or "boxy sound".

Reply #71

That's a pretty big fuckup.

As if it wasn't already obvious that he's divining sound quality for devices he has likely never auditioned.

His redibility is continuing to plummet.

No, there is no boomy issue, i'm kidding but the JBL measurements of their magical tweeter diffuser makes me laugh.

And as we can obviously see now, the horizontal dispersion is exemplary in both the LSR305 and the LSR308, with the latter being slightly more directional, I expect this is because of the larger frontal area of the cabinet?

I'm not sure I follow you on the "boom boom". Looks fine to me, and might I add sounded perfectly fine to me when I listened to them myself, back when I was considering replacing my Adam A5Xs. No "boom-boom" or "honkiness" or "boxy sound".

At first was thinking about a lobing issue due to the tweeter vertical offest, the height positioning seems very critical !

And the bass reflex boom boom !

That is the THD+IMD measurement.
One good point for you !

Reply #72
That's the measurement inside the listening room at the listening position, not a speaker measurement.

The blue curve is the average of 30 single measurements around the listening position, the red curve is the average of 30 single measurement with the green eq curve applied.

Reply #73
That's the measurement inside the listening room at the listening position, not a speaker measurement.

The blue curve is the average of 30 single measurements around the listening position, the red curve is the average of 30 single measurement with the green eq curve applied.

It's not measured in anechoic conditions, but in room low SPL gated measurements of the tweeter seems enough accurate for me.
And seems to confirm that the tweeter beaming is falling at 10K like all others 1' textile domes and the presence of a huge equalization after 15K.

Reply #74
I understand neither the obsession to undermine the 308, nor the amazing self confidence you keep even now that you've ironically misused graphs twice in a single page to prove points that never existed.
playing the maniac elite audiophile that settles for nothing when we're talking 3000$ speakers and as much on the amp, I could understand. but whining about powered monitors with a surprisingly well balanced FR for 400euro, it's just weird.

here let me help you in your crusade, my pair has a little hiss. it's quieter than my computer so I need to get close to the speaker to notice, but at least it's something real for a change.