Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Biography Discussion (Read 228847 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Biography Discussion

Reply #575
When for me there was this problem because of the site, I just waited until they fixed it.
This probably depends on the IP address.

Reply #576
When for me there was this problem because of the site, I just waited until they fixed it.
This probably depends on the IP address.

How to check this?

Reply #577
I tried installing Spider Monkey Panel v1.2.3 and Biography v1.1.3 on fb2k v1.5.2 (without installing any other components) with the settings by default - Biography works correctly for me.

Reply #578
I do this too but i don't have the artist image.

Premium Last.fm is important?

Reply #579
I've used Biography for a while now and really like it.  However, I am encountering one minor issue...

I find that Biography displays album art from image files in the folder of the currently playing track.  Good. 
But, I don't seem to be able to get Biography to display album art that is embedded in the currently playing track.

I can see the embedded art in my Columns UI Playlist, and I can see it in a conventional "Artwork view" panel. 
It is not a case of priority: In my test case, the album with embedded art has no image files in the folder.

Hopefully this is just a configuration error on my part.  Any assistance would be appreciated, but it would be most helpful to understand the designer's intent.  Thanks!

Reply #580
Hallo there,
I'm using (latest) foobar v.1.5.2. I have also SpiderMonkeyPanel, Biography and JScript Panel on latest version.
It was working properly, as it should since yesterday at the afternoon: I can't see either artist pictures nor pictures from covers.  I see only text (biography) but no pictures.
Any suggestions please?

Reply #581
Hallo there,
I'm using (latest) foobar v.1.5.2. I have also SpiderMonkeyPanel, Biography and JScript Panel on latest version.
It was working properly, as it should since yesterday at the afternoon: I can't see either artist pictures nor pictures from covers.  I see only text (biography) but no pictures.
Any suggestions please?

Reply #582
For anyone having image issues, you must make sure the artist has images on their last.fm page and it must be viewable with Internet Explorer. Your normal choice of browser is irrelevant because scripts use the underlying components built in to the OS.

If running Windows 7, you'll probably need to enable support for TLS 1.2 via the registry. There are already plenty of threads about on the forums. And windows should always be up to date so you have the latest security certificates installed.

Reply #583
The panel also doesn't load any pictures for me, while it used to work flawlessly for months... wonder what is happening. Also took snotlicker's advice and tried to open last.fm using IE, to my surprise was greeted with no pictures anywhere to be seen, and a note on top saying: "Internet Explorer is no longer supported on Last.fm. In order to have the best experience, please upgrade to a more modern browser. ". Could this be the problem?

Reply #584
The fact you can access the last.fm website is good. But they do offload image host duties to another provider. If access to that is blocked, that would explain the problem. Try this direct link (in IE).

https://lastfm.freetls.fastly.net/i/u/aaa9574806bdfad3eb7168c21aca09de

Reply #585
Hmm, that link opens the picture without any problems. Oh well, back to searching for the cause on my configuration then, thanks for that reply!

Reply #586
Just to be clear, that was tested with Internet Explorer? When it's working, you should see inline images in the webpage as well...

You can see a screenshot of my Windows 8.1/IE11 attached.

Reply #587
Yes, it was IE. I was just to quick to say, that webpage does not show pictures. It was just the main "last.fm" page that does not show pictures, the one you gave as an example shows everything correctly. So yes, it has to be something odd in my Foobar's settings, or maybe with Windows 10... I did make a repair of it recently, could be a connection there.

Reply #588
If anyone knows a solution to a problem with the display of an artist's image such as I have and others @Pappa-Lenin, @Miltiades please share the solution

Reply #589
Sorry, I've no idea, I just ended up selecting "text only" mode, because nothing worked for me, and I'm unfortunately not able to currently do a Windows reinstall, which supposedly helped one of the other users... :(

Reply #590
Hi, does somebody know if @WilB is still active, or if somebody else is carrying on with this great project ? Thanks !
Hi, just wanted to say again how wonderful this script is !  :D

However, at the moment I'm only using it for displaying bios, and I'm using marc2003's Thumbs script for displaying artist pics.
The reason is in these two pics (see attached pics).

If someday @WilB could add this function to his script, I would be very grateful and happy to use only one script for all my purposes.

Thanks in advance !

Reply #591
I found a strange issue when it will not write tags (shift-rt click, "write tags to selected tracks") to artist names with special characters. e.g. Altın Gün  (note the i + u)

Reply #592
I have noticed that downloaded images are often low-res, even when there are lots of hi-res images for the same artist on last.fm.
For some artists there are hundreds of images available, but the component just seems to pick the first ones.
Is there an option to either favor hi-res images, or the most upvoted ones, or to set a minimum res ?
If not, it would be a nice add-on. Thanks !

Reply #593
I've stumbled upon some new odd behavior related to Auto-Save.

In my biography.ini file, I have:

Code: [Select]
[COVERS: MUSIC FILES]
Auto-Save=1
Auto-Save Folder=$directory_path(%path%)
Auto-Save File Name=cover

I believe the intended behavior is that cover.png file will be saved in the folder of the track.  That seems like a swell idea.  It works fine when the path of the track is on the local machine.  However, when the path of the track is a UNC path to a another machine (example:  "\\myServer\music\01.flac", the cover.png file is actually getting stored to "D:\_\myServer\music\cover.png".  It is creating that entire path.  "D:" happens to be the local drive that contains my portable Foobar2000 directory in a sub directory.

I tried changing the Auto-Save Folder to "$replace(%path%,%filename_ext%,)" but that did not resolve the problem.

At some earlier point, cover.png was not saved at all for UNC paths.  This behavior started in recent weeks.

(Foobar2000 1.5.2, Spider Monkey Panel 1.2.3, Biography 1.1.3, Windows 10 1909)

Any thoughts?

Reply #594
I'm not picking this script apart but I can confirm there is no issue saving to UNC paths. You can try it at the most basic level yourself with a blank panel and this code snippet - just adjust the filename and then double click the panel to run the code. It leaves a command prompt window open which would show any errors.

// backslashes must be doubled up
var filename = "\\\\nausicaa\\music\\foxes.jpg";

var WshShell = new ActiveXObject('WScript.Shell');

function on_mouse_lbtn_dblclk() {
    WshShell.Run("cmd /k cscript //nologo \"" + fb.ProfilePath + "yttm\\foo_lastfm_img.vbs\" https://lastfm.freetls.fastly.net/i/u/aaa9574806bdfad3eb7168c21aca09de \"" + filename + "\"");
}

edit: here's an example of an error you'd get if the share was read-only

I'm using Windows 10 2004 but that shouldn't make any difference.

Reply #595
I'm not picking this script apart but I can confirm there is no issue saving to UNC paths. You can try it at the most basic level yourself with a blank panel and this code snippet - just adjust the filename and then double click the panel to run the code. It leaves a command prompt window open which would show any errors.

Thanks for the assistance, snotlicker!

Your suggestion helped me eliminate Spider Monkey Panel and Foobar as sources of the problem. 

Instead I picked apart "Biography 1.1.3.js" and found this line in cleanPth(), part of line 519, and confirmed it is the source of the problem:
while (pth.includes("\\\\")) pth = pth.replace(/\\\\/g,"\\_\\"); 

Commenting that out stopped making the fake path "D:\_\", but did not result in the artwork being saved to the UNC path either.  Before I debug further, I will wait for the Biography maintainers to respond, since this function is used many times in the program, and I'm not familiar with all of the scenarios.

Reply #596
@quah
I'll take a look.

@mjm716
Tag writer normalises names toUpperCase(), so artists of same spelling but are of different case are treated the same. I thought windows file handling was case insensitive, but as you can see below the file saved as Altın Gün isn't found after converting to upper case.

Z:\fb2k15\yttm\biography\lastfm\a\Altın Gün.txt File Exists true
Z:\fb2k15\yttm\biography\lastfm\a\ALTIN GÜN.txt File Exists false

I can probably remove the case check. Possibly it could also be related to exotic character handling in SMP, since the standard fso.FileExists(f) is used for the check.

Reply #597
@quah

I don't have a device with UNC paths, so please can you try replacing all of the two following lines.

Replace line 15 [buildPath...] with:
buildPth : pth => {console.log("buildPth input pth", pth); let result, tmpFileLoc = "", UNC = pth.startsWith("\\\\"); if (UNC) pth = pth.replace("\\\\", ""); console.log("UNC",UNC); const pattern = /(.*?)\\/gm; while ((result = pattern.exec(pth))) {tmpFileLoc = tmpFileLoc.concat(result[0]); if (UNC) {tmpFileLoc = `\\\\${tmpFileLoc}`; UNC = false;} console.log("buildPth output tmpFileLoc",tmpFileLoc); s.create(tmpFileLoc);}},

Replace line 519 [if (!pth) return...] with
if (!pth) return ""; console.log("cleanPth input", pth); let UNC = pth.startsWith("\\\\"); if (UNC) pth = pth.replace("\\\\", ""); if (!pth.endsWith("\\")) pth += "\\"; const c_pos = pth.indexOf(":"); pth = pth.replace(/[/|:]/g, "-").replace(/\*/g, "x").replace(/"/g, "''").replace(/[<>]/g, "_").replace(/\?/g, "").replace(/\\\./g, "\\_").replace(/\.+\\/, "\\").replace(/\s*\\\s*/g, "\\"); if (c_pos < 3 && c_pos != -1) pth = s.replaceAt(pth, c_pos, ":"); while (pth.includes("\\\\")) pth = pth.replace(/\\\\/g,"\\_\\"); if (UNC) pth = `\\\\${pth}`; console.log("cleanPth output", pth); return pth.trim();

Hopefully it will work. If not there are some console.log traces in there which might help, and that can be removed if all is OK.

Regarding embedded album art. That should display fine. It's working here. It may depend on embedded vs external setting: foobar2000 preferences > advanced > display > album art > embedded vs external

Reply #598
@quah

I don't have a device with UNC paths, so please can you try replacing all of the two following lines.

Replace line 15 [buildPath...] with:
buildPth : pth => {console.log("buildPth input pth", pth); let result, tmpFileLoc = "", UNC = pth.startsWith("\\\\"); if (UNC) pth = pth.replace("\\\\", ""); console.log("UNC",UNC); const pattern = /(.*?)\\/gm; while ((result = pattern.exec(pth))) {tmpFileLoc = tmpFileLoc.concat(result[0]); if (UNC) {tmpFileLoc = `\\\\${tmpFileLoc}`; UNC = false;} console.log("buildPth output tmpFileLoc",tmpFileLoc); s.create(tmpFileLoc);}},

Replace line 519 [if (!pth) return...] with
if (!pth) return ""; console.log("cleanPth input", pth); let UNC = pth.startsWith("\\\\"); if (UNC) pth = pth.replace("\\\\", ""); if (!pth.endsWith("\\")) pth += "\\"; const c_pos = pth.indexOf(":"); pth = pth.replace(/[/|:]/g, "-").replace(/\*/g, "x").replace(/"/g, "''").replace(/[<>]/g, "_").replace(/\?/g, "").replace(/\\\./g, "\\_").replace(/\.+\\/, "\\").replace(/\s*\\\s*/g, "\\"); if (c_pos < 3 && c_pos != -1) pth = s.replaceAt(pth, c_pos, ":"); while (pth.includes("\\\\")) pth = pth.replace(/\\\\/g,"\\_\\"); if (UNC) pth = `\\\\${pth}`; console.log("cleanPth output", pth); return pth.trim();

Hopefully it will work. If not there are some console.log traces in there which might help, and that can be removed if all is OK.

Regarding embedded album art. That should display fine. It's working here. It may depend on embedded vs external setting: foobar2000 preferences > advanced > display > album art > embedded vs external

Thanks very much WilB for your assistance! 

Your patch is working well and covers are being saved for UNC and non-UNC paths. 

By the way, in Windows you can use a UNC path to access the local disk by using the local hostname.  Example: "\\My_PC\C\Users".  If you open the track that way in Foobar, it will use the UNC path and not try to convert it to a non-UNC path.  I suppose if you disabled enough file sharing features in Windows, it might break UNC, and perhaps that's your setup.

In playing with this stuff, I just figured out why embedded art was not working for me: In the context menu of the Bio panel, if "Sources > Cover: Cycle" is set to "Cycle Above", I don't see embedded art.  If I change the setting to "Front", then I see the embedded art. 

Thanks again and let me know if I can help test further.

Reply #599
Hey,
I cannot install the component.
I have this message:
JScript Panel v2.3.6.1 (id:986144)
Erreur de compilation Microsoft JScript:
Erreur de syntaxe
File: <main>
Line: 3, Col: 1
Line 3: const requiredVersionStr = '1.2.2'; function is_compatible(requiredVersionStr) {const requiredVersion = requiredVersionStr.split('.'), currentVersion = utils.Version.split('.'); if (currentVersion.length > 3) currentVersion.length = 3; for (let i = 0; i < currentVersion.length; ++i) if (currentVersion != requiredVersion) return currentVersion > requiredVersion; return true;} if (!is_compatible(requiredVersionStr)) fb.ShowPopupMessage(`Biography requires v${requiredVersionStr}. Current component version is v${utils.Version}.`);